I ask your assistance in forwarding this message to graduate students in your department, informing them of an outstanding fellowship opportunity with the Army Research Laboratory (ARL).
The Army Research Laboratory (ARL) invites exceptional young researchers to apply for an ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship (www.nas.edu/arl). This fellowship provides recipients the opportunity to pursue independent research while working alongside some of the nation’s best scientists and engineers. Applicants must display extraordinary ability in scientific research and show clear promise of becoming outstanding leaders. Successful candidates will have already tackled a major scientific or engineering problem or will have provided a new approach or insight, evidenced by a recognized impact in their field.
- By the application deadline, applicants must have completed all the requirements for a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, computational sciences, behavioral sciences, or engineering. Applicants who intend to defend their dissertation after the application deadline are not eligible.
- As of the application deadline, applicants may not be more than five years beyond the award date of their Ph.D. or Sc.D.
- There are no citizenship requirements; however, selected fellows must pass a Department of Defense clearance process, requiring a background security investigation.
- Foreign nationals must get further DoD approval, requiring a background investigation.
- Applicants must demonstrate exceptional qualifications with respect to academic and scholarly achievement, as evidenced by research and publication.
- Candidates are expected to have conducted research on a major scientific or engineering problem during their thesis work or have provided a new approach or insight, evidenced by a recognized impact in their field.
Fellowship terms and benefits
- An annual stipend of $100,000
- Health insurance (including dental and vision)
- Paid relocation and a professional travel allowance
- One-year appointments are renewable for up to three years based on performance.
- Fellowship appointments require a full-time commitment to the research program at ARL.
- Fellows must be in residence at ARL during the entire period of the appointment.
- Ray Gamble
Director, Fellowship Programs Office
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine