There are several updates from the Career Development Center. We are thrilled to partner with you on students’ career success for the 2017-2018 academic year and beyond.
Student Drop-In Appointments
The Career Development Center now offers 15-minute drop-in appointments for students seeking career assistance Monday – Friday, 9 A.M. – 4 P.M., in-person at our NEW location:
The Career Development Center
A110 Kerr Administration Building (the former campus tours office)
Please note that drop-ins are available when classes are in session.
Winter 2017 Career Events for Students
The Career Development Center now hosts consistent workshops on a variety of professional development topics for all students each term. Encouraging attendance is a fantastic way to help develop your students’ professional skills; please see the list of workshop topics and dates below.
Winter Professional Series Events
All times are 12-1 P.M. unless otherwise listed.
- January 10 | Careers 101 | Valley Library 3622 (West)
- January 10 | Managing Your Personal Brand | Webinar
- January 17 | Resume Basics(Cosponsored by DCE) | Kidder 128
- January 18 | Online Career Connections | Webinar
- January 30 | Get a Dam Job | Hallie Ford Center 115
- January 31 | Digital Professionalism | Johnson Hall 221
- February 6 | Resume Basics | Kidder 128
- February 7 | Nonprofit Opportunities Panels | 10am-11am / 2pm-3pm | Memorial Union Room TBD
- February 8 | OSU MANRRS Annual Career Wardrobe | 10am-4pm | MU Ballroom
- February 13 | Career Fair Prep | Hallie Ford Center 115
- February 14 | Interviewing Skills | Valley Library 3622 (West)
- February 15 | Leveraging Connections | Webinar
- February 28 | Interview Skills | Kidder 128
- March 1 | Negotiating | Hallie Ford Center 115
- March 7 | Get a Dam Job | Valley Library 3622 (West)
- March 8 | International Students and Careers | ILLC 244
To download Professional Series screens, posters, and other assets, please click here.
Career Expo Events
It’s almost time for winter term’s Career Expo. This is an entire week of events for students to develop their professional skills, culminating in a career fair where students will get to interact with employers who want to hire OSU students.
- February 20 | Speed Mock Interviews (In-person and virtual) | 12pm-4pm | MU Multipurpose Room
- February 21 | Winter Career Expo
The entire OSU community is invited to attend the career fair; please take this opportunity to chat with employers who may be hiring your students, and of course, we welcome anyone who would like to volunteer.
Please encourage your students to volunteer for this event; benefits include volunteer experience (which is great on a resume!) and face time with employers. Interested volunteers can sign up here for various shifts to accommodate your schedule.
To download Career Expo screens, posters, and social media images, please click here.
Oregon State is on Handshake
Handshake is Oregon State’s new hub for everything students need from college to career. The Handshake platform was designed by students, for students with one goal in mind: to help college students find their way to their dream careers.
The more students use Handshake, the smarter it gets. When a student inputs their interests, preferences, and outcomes, the Handshake platform delivers content and jobs tailored to them. At this point in the 2017-2018 academic year, over 30% of students have completed their profiles.
If you want to get in the system and see what students see, please request an account in Handshake here; once approved, you will be able to navigate the system as a student.
Fall Term Highlights
- Over 70 mock interviews with employers were facilitated during expo week.
- Oregon State hosted 240 companies for five days of career events connecting with over 2000 students.
- Students had interviews with 55 different employers who conducted over 500 post-career expo interviews.
- There were 976 students who checked in at career development programs/classes.
- The Career Development Center’s Career Assistants completed 339 drop-in appointments.
- Assistant Directors completed 126 individual career consultations.
Careers in your College
Here are your college contacts for winter term:
o College of Engineering
o College of Agricultural Sciences
o College of Earth, Ocean & Atmospheric Sciences
o College of Forestry
o College of Pharmacy
o College of Veterinary Medicine
o Graduate School
o INTO OSU
o College of Liberal Arts
o College of Education
o College of Public Health & Human Sciences
o College of Science
o Graduate School
If you work with students in the College of Business, please contact Dan Ziriax in the COB Career Success Center.
Thank you for investing in our students’ futures. We look forward to partnering with you in creating excellent professional development and career opportunities for students at Oregon State.
The Career Development Center
firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-737-4085