What Are OSU Colleagues Reading?

We asked colleagues, “What have you read that has informed your work or resonated for you, and why? This can be reading in any form (e.g., books, articles, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.).” Perhaps you’ll find a spring break read, book club pick, or potential lunch conversation option in what OSU colleagues have shared here.

And, if you would like to contribute to “What Are OSU Colleagues Reading?,” please complete this brief form to submit your entry! We’d love to feature what you’re reading in an upcoming issue.

Laurie Bridges, Instruction and Digital Initiatives Librarian, Oregon State University Libraries and Press

Recently, I listened to the memoir The Worlds I See (Valley Library print) by world-famous computer scientist Dr. Fei-Fei Li. I started the book to learn more about artificial intelligence, but what I enjoyed the most was Dr. Li’s story of immigration from China to the U.S. as a child. In the U.S., her small family lived in financial precariousness while she attended public school in New Jersey, learned English, and embraced a passion for physics.

Amy Frasieur, Director of Health Equity and Wellness, Student Affairs

Finding Our Way Podcast is hosted by teacher, somatics practitioner, and movement facilitator Prentis Hemphill. It is a conversation between Prentis and powerful social justice leaders, artists, and activists – discussing how to realize the world we want through our own healing and transformation. I listened to all 3 seasons as they were released and recently found myself returning to the podcast for a second listen. The conversations are beautiful and powerful and keep me curious about ways I can continue to learn and grow in both my work and community.

Chrysanthemum Hayes, Director of Decision Support, University Information and Technology

I recently finished Patrick Lencioni’s The 6 Types of Working Genius (Valley Library Print), recommended to me by our CIO, Andrea Ballinger. What resonated with me the most is that if you are working outside your “geniuses” (e.g. the energy-giving types of work activities), things will feel hard, draining, and not showcase your best potential for the organization. Finding a great fit in an organization can be helped by thinking about what type of work they are doing relative to a person’s “geniuses” and “frustrations.” I found this framework to be a helpful additional dimension on top of strengths and personality assessment results.

Nicole Hindes, Director of the Basic Needs Center, Student Affairs

Scarcity: the New Science of Having Less and How it Defines our Lives (Valley Library Print) by Sendhil Mullainathan and Eldar Sharif delves into the tunnel vision and limited decision-making bandwidth created by conditions of scarcity. The book suggests designing systems to support those facing scarcity, such as implementing time management workshops for busy students. By optimizing time use, like incorporating workshops into training schedules or class time, educational institutions can enhance students’ decision-making capacity around the use of time, offering them the necessary “bandwidth” to navigate time scarcity more effectively.