Location: Salem or Eugene, OR
Here’s a summer internship for a college student who is excited about advancing safety and health outcomes for businesses across Oregon. This position offers collaborative experiences with a team of occupational safety and health professionals who have boots on the ground across multiple industries. If you are an adventurous person who can manage shifting priorities while flexing your creative muscles, this is the internship for you!
SAIF’s safety and health internship offers a great way to get real life experience in a safety and health career. We are a publicly owned workers’ compensation insurance company, driven by a vision to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work.
You’ll spend 12 weeks as part of our team of safety professionals, industrial hygienists, ergonomists, and Total Worker Health® experts, working with our customers throughout Oregon. You will also assist the team with data analysis, projects, and corporate initiatives. Previous interns have found their experience connects with a variety of industries and roles.
At the end of the internship, you’ll have an opportunity to present your experience to members of our safety and health staff.
This position is based out of our Salem or Eugene offices. There may be opportunities to work from home. You’ll have easy access to Portland, the Oregon Coast, mountain ranges, valleys, and other places to explore.
This is an excellent opportunity to get hands-on experience in occupational safety and health.
- Assist safety and health staff with customer consultations to gain exposure to the services, resources, and training that SAIF provides.
- Learn and apply a variety of occupational safety and health concepts using an integrated Total Worker Health® approach.
- Work with staff to review, update, or create safety and health resources, web content, or training for our customers.
- Participate in training opportunities to develop skills in all aspects of safety and health consultation, applicable rules and regulations, SAIF’s safety and health best practices and guidelines, and customer service.
- Attend and participate in team and committee meetings to gain experience with the collaborative work process.
- Learn about the connection between safety and health and workers’ compensation insurance in Oregon. Learn about stakeholders and business partners.
- Manage and complete assigned projects and tasks.
- Currently enrolled in a program that will lead to a bachelor or master’s degree in occupational health and safety, environmental health sciences, or public health.
- Able to work well individually and as part of a group.
- Comfortable researching scientific journals as well as internet sources.
- Clear, persuasive writing skills; able to take complex ideas and make them accessible to multiple audiences.
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft products such as MS Office, MS Outlook, Office 365.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record or ability to arrange transportation for travel out of the office.
- Other combinations of education and experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job will also be considered.
Hours: Full-time during summer break 2023
Start Date: Negotiable between May and June
Duration: 12 weeks
Salary: $19.25 per hour; benefits do not apply
To receive consideration, please submit the following by the closing date of this recruitment:
- your resume
- a cover letter
- unofficial transcript(s), and
- a college writing sample authored solely by you
This recruitment will close January 6, 2023. Apply Online!
If we receive enough qualified applicants, this recruitment may close early.
We provide preference to qualifying and disabled veterans. For more information please visit saif.com/veterans.
Since 1914, SAIF has been taking care of injured workers, helping people get back to work, and keeping rates low by focusing on workplace safety. Together with our partners, we strive to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work.
SAIF is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in its workplace.