Apply Online! by January 6, 2023
Are you looking for a summer internship that offers collaborative and multidisciplinary experiences with a team of certified occupational health and safety professionals? Are you a problem-solver who is self-motivated, curious, intuitive, and organized? Are you excited about the possibility of influencing positive health and safety outcomes for thousands of businesses across Oregon?
If so, SAIF’s industrial hygiene (IH) and health internship provides all this and more. We’re a publicly-owned, not-for-profit workers’ compensation insurance company, driven by a vision to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work.
You’ll spend 12 weeks as part of our team of industrial hygienists, ergonomists, nurse consultants, safety consultants, and Total Worker Health® experts, visiting customers’ workplaces throughout Oregon. You will also assist the team with consultations, hazard evaluations, and report writing. Previous interns have found their way into safety management and other leadership roles at SAIF, as well as IH positions in insurance, government, pharmaceutical companies, and occupational health and safety consulting firms.
Based out of our Salem office, you’ll have easy access to Portland, the Oregon Coast, mountain ranges, valleys, and other places to explore.
This is an excellent opportunity to (safely) get your foot in our door.
- Consult on a variety of occupational health issues using an integrated Total Worker Health® approach
- Assist SAIF’s IH and health team with consultations and analyses of policyholders’ worksites, including the evaluation of physical, chemical, biological, and ergonomic hazards over a wide range of industries
- Draft reports to be submitted to internal and external customers at the request of and with the guidance of SAIF IH and health staff
- Research occupational health issues
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Bachelor or master’s degree student in industrial hygiene/occupational/environmental health sciences and completion of industrial hygiene laboratory or instrumentation course work required by the degree program of the college or university
- Able to work both independently and cooperatively within a team doing complex, confidential work
- Superior problem-solving, research, and writing skills demonstrating an ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and persuasive way
- Basic personal computer and word processing skills
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record or ability to arrange transportation for occasional travel out of the office
- Other combinations of education and experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job also will be considered
Hours: Full-time during summer break 2023
Start Date: Approximately May 2023 (flexible)
Duration: Three months
Salary: $23,25 per hour; benefits do not apply
To receive consideration, please submit the following by the closing date of this recruitment:
- your resume
- a cover letter
- unofficial transcript(s), and
- a solely authored, college-level writing sample
This recruitment will close on January 6, 2023.
If we receive a sufficient number of qualified applicants, this recruitment may close early.
We provide preference to qualifying and disabled veterans. For more information please visit saif.com/veterans.
Since 1914, SAIF has been taking care of injured workers, helping people get back to work, and keeping rates low by focusing on workplace safety. Together with our partners, we strive to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work.
SAIF is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in its workplace.