The student UPNs will be changing on September 12 from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com. This has some specific impacts on Office 365. Please read – I anticipate a large number of calls.
- The way they login to Office 365 will change. When you help a new user login for the first time, please make them aware of the change happening on September 12.
- Connections from Office and OneNote to files in their OneDrive will break. The symptom of this problem will generally be a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the Office or OneNote apps. The solution is to repoint to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will verify that we have a help doc on this issue.
- Links to shared files will break. The resolution to this is to re-share the files. This may impact College of Business students more than others as they use these features more. They can also get help from the COB helpdesk.
-Kirsten Petersen, IT Manager
Information Services, Oregon State University
From: email@example.com [firstname.lastname@example.org] on behalf of Lomax, Erica L [Erica.Lomax@oregonstate.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 17:46
To: DCA All
Subject: [DCA-All] 9/12 – Login changes to Google and Student UPN changes
On Saturday, September 12 starting at 8am the IAM team will be making changes to the logins and email addresses at Google for all users, student Active Directory User Principal Names (UPN), student primary email addresses, and UPN updates for a subset of other users. It is anticipated that the set of changes will take approximately 12 hours on that date.
A summary of what is changing is as follows
- Google Principal Name (GPN) will change for all ONID accounts from email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org (The GPN is what you type at Google to login/be redirected back to OSU)
- Primary email for Google ONID mail users will change from email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org (The @onid addresses will still deliver)
- Banner ONID email address type will be updated from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org(This flows through to LDAP / directory.oregonstate.edu / Address Book)
- New ONID accounts will set email@example.com as the primary email address firstname.lastname@example.org as the UPN (The @onid addresses will still be issued as secondary, for now)
- UPNs on ONID accounts for all students will be set to email@example.com
o If a graduate student account is pending unification and the UPN has already been assigned to the non-ONID account, no account update will occur.
- UPN on ONID accounts for Employee & Associates that are located in the ONID OU in AD and do NOT have an existing identity match (PIDM) will be set to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a copy of your domain/OU’s users and their current identity match (PIDM) status, please send an email to IAMTeam @oregonstate.edu and let us know what domain or OU and we will provide you with a file. It will contain the user, their non-ONID domain account and matching ONID account, if matched. You can use this file to fill in the missing ONID matches and return it to us to update AD with the matches.
Helpdocs are under development about the impacts to end users. There will be email messages sent to the users via inform lists regarding the changes.
Please let us know if you have questions.
Director, Identity and Access
Information Services | Oregon State University