The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) currently has an opening for a Senior Hazardous Waste Policy Analyst (Operations and Policy Analyst 3) within the Land Quality division in Portland, Oregon.
- Initial Posting Date: 09/03/2019
- Application Deadline:09/26/2019
- Agency:Department of Environmental Quality
- Salary Range:$4,851 – $7,105
- Position Type:Employee
- Position Title:Senior Hazardous Waste Policy Analyst (Operations and Policy Analyst 3)Job Description:With more than 30,000 employees who are dedicated to making Oregon a fantastic place to live work, and play, the State of Oregon enterprise is comprised of a diverse group of employees who are passionate about public service. At the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water.The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) currently has an opening for a Senior Hazardous Waste Policy Analyst (Operations and Policy Analyst 3) within the Land Quality division in Portland, Oregon.The Land Quality programs assess and manage environmental cleanups, promote manufacturing and recycling of non-toxic commercial products, safely manage the disposal of solid and hazardous wastes, administer the state’s underground storage tank and heating oil tank programs, and respond to spills of oil and hazardous materials. DEQ’s Hazardous Waste Program develops policy for oversight of the management and disposal of hazardous waste, oversees the state Toxics Use and Hazardous Waste Reporting program, and promotes the reduction of hazardous waste generation and toxics use.Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality.What you will do!The Senior Hazardous Waste Policy Analyst reduces the generation and ensures safe management of hazardous waste by serving as a senior policy analyst and hazardous waste program expert. You will analyze hazardous waste management issues, develop policies for addressing the issues, and apply regulations and policies consistently. You will ensure that hazardous waste issues are properly addressed during cross program policy discussions or initiatives.What’s in it for you!The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer medical, dental, and vision health benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you qualify at PSLF Program. If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Behavioral or Social Sciences, Finance, Political Science, Natural Resources or Related Field, or a different related degree, AND 4 years of professional-level evaluative, analytical, and planning work (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Experience evaluating or developing legislation, legislative concepts, and policy and guidance alternatives, and recommending solutions.
- Experience implementing or evaluating policies or programs specifically related to hazardous and solid wastes, universal wastes, used oil, and source and waste reductions.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement and consultation processes.
- Experience in a federal or state government capacity as a policy analyst.
- Demonstrated ability to devise, develop, lead, and evaluate programs; experience working with environmental programs; previous experience as a project leader.
- Excellent project management skills, verbal and written communication skills, analytical and conceptual skills, organizational skills, public speaking skills, and time management skills.
- Highly motivated; a willingness to take initiative; ability to work creatively to find solutions; innovative; and excellent problem solving skills involving detailed thinking for solving complex issues.
- Experience with data analysis and the preparation of reports.How to Apply:To apply for this position, please follow the “Apply” link above and complete the online application and all supplemental questions (including the question where you upload a cover letter).Please be sure to attach a resume.**Please be sure to check both your e-mail and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.**Veterans Information:DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.Questions/Need Help?If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 229-5107.DEQ strives to create inclusive environments that welcome and value the diversity of the people we serve. DEQ fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to create workplace environments where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, physical stature, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation, and any other factor applicable by state or federal law.