Environmental Epidemiologist (Epidemiologist 2)
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Public Health Division (PHD), Environmental Public Health Section in Portland, OR is seeking an Environmental Epidemiologist to increase the understanding of environmental hazards, exposures, and health effects through the Oregon Environmental Public Health Tracking (Oregon Tracking) system, which is part of a national network working to provide easy to understand information at state, county, and sub-county levels for Oregon.
As a result, scientists, communities, policymakers, and the public are now better equipped to answer fundamental questions about the relationships between environmental exposures and health effects and can use this information to plan, apply, and evaluate public health actions to prevent and control environmentally related diseases.
JOB CODE: OHA18-0449
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 05/16/18 11:59 PM
SALARY: $4,765.00 – $6,977.00 Monthly
JOB TYPE: Permanent
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
What will you do?
As the Environmental Epidemiologist, you will plan, design, direct, coordinate, analyze, interpret, and report on epidemiological data and/or studies for environmental hazards and health effects, specifically for the Environmental Public Health Tracking program and other Environmental Public Health Surveillance programs. You will collaborate with internal and external partners to provide intervention strategies, improve surveillance and gather new sources of data/data sharing. In addition, you will identify source of funding and take a lead role in applying for and writing grants related to environmental issues.
What’s in it for you?
You will work with technical, scientific and educational public health professionals who identify, assess and report threats to human health from exposure to environmental and occupational hazards, and advise the people and communities of Oregon to best understand potential risks where they live, work and play in order to remain healthy and safe.
Do you have epidemiology experience? Are you proficient in data analysis and statistical reporting? Do you have experience in environmental health and understand the relationship between environmental hazards and exposures, and their effects on health ? Then we want to connect with you!
A Bachelor’s degree in Community Health, Epidemiology, or a closely-related field
two years of epidemiological or community health experience.
Note: Education (a minimum of a bachelor’s degree) is required to meet the minimum qualifications. Other advanced degrees (i.e. masters or doctoral degrees in Community Health, Epidemiology or a closely related field such as Public Health may be used to meet the educational requirements of the minimum qualifications but transcripts must be attached to your application.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in applying the principles of epidemiology and biostatistics
- Experience assessing health risks and outcomes, and developing indicators related to environmental health exposures or the social determinants of health
- Experience monitoring the accuracy and qualify of data, and working with relational databases
- Proficiency in data management and statistical analysis principles and software
- Ability to analyze general, statistical and technical reports
- Ability to analyze complex systems, identify problems, generate alternatives, build consensus and implement solutions
- Ability to provide expert level technical expertise within and outside the organization
- Good verbal communication skills for establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with internal and external partners
- Clear and concise writing skills to compose direct narratives and data reports
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills to present, defend or verify the accuracy of data, research or administrative studies
- Ability to prioritize program tasks and meet program deadlines
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and software as appropriate to Environmental Public Health programs
- Knowledge of and proficiency in geospatial analysis and presentation is desirable
- Knowledge of and proficiency in applying the principles of environmental public health is desirable
- Experience promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment
Please visit the following link to complete the online application: