Standards of Behavior for Adults Working in
Programs and Activities with Minors
As a condition of involvement in a youth program or activity, as defined in the Safety of Minors Policy (07-040), all employees and volunteers must review the Standards of Behavior prior to working in a university program with minors.
I AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:
- I understand that I am responsible for reading and abiding by any rules and guidelines set by the program, as well as all applicable laws and university policies.
- I will abide by the University Code of Ethics and will promptly report any violation of law or university policy about which I become aware, including harassment, sexual misconduct, illegal or fraudulent activity, conflicts of interest or other unethical conduct.
- I will treat all youth equitably, regardless of their actions or behavior, sex, gender, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, culture, place of birth, age, class, ability, health, citizenship, language or other identities.
- I will not consume alcohol while on duty or responsible for the care of minors.
- I will not sell, use, possess or distribute drugs or related items that would violate the law or university policies.
- I will refrain from using vulgar language or making comments of a sexual nature in the presence of a minor, or making sexually explicit materials available to a minor.
- I will not, under any circumstances, administer corporal punishment, engage in abusive conduct, or fail to provide the basic necessities of care, such as food, water or shelter to minors.
- I will promptly respond to incidents concerning the health and safety of minors and other program participants, and will act swiftly to report known or suspected instances of child abuse or neglect in accordance with Oregon State Statute and OSU reporting requirements.
- I will notify the Office of Human Resources or Department of Public Safety within three days of pleading guilty or being convicted of a felony, sex offense or other crime relevant to my security-sensitive position.
- I will limit communication with minors to topics related to sanctioned activities and will include a second adult in any direct electronic communications (i.e., text messaging, email, phone, social media, etc.).
- I will conduct all virtual interactions and online communications with minors in a manner that is consistent with the program’s general safety and supervision guidelines, and only when there is a clear educational or programmatic purpose.
- I understand that parent or guardian permission is needed in advance of capturing and using any media (i.e., photos, videos, recordings, etc.) containing minors, and that such media may only be used for its intended programmatic purpose.
- I will carry out program activities in a way that ensures adequate levels of supervision and avoids one-on-one interactions with minors.
- I understand that at no time should I be alone with a single, unrelated youth in the context of a university program or activity. If one-on-one interaction is necessary, I will meet in an open, well-illuminated area within sight or sound of other authorized adults.
- I will promptly notify a program supervisor if I become aware of any unauthorized contact that occurs outside of the program between a youth program participant and an employee or volunteer who is not the minor’s parent or guardian.
- I will only release minors to authorized parents, guardians or other adults as requested in writing by the parent or guardian.
I understand and agree to abide by the Standards of Behavior referenced above.
I acknowledge that any violation of these standards could lead to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Printed Name ______________________________________
content edited 8-27-2020