This recipe is adapted from https://cookieandkate.com/best-lentil-soup-recipe/
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot, peel and cut into half circles
- Just under 1 Tablespoon of spice blend (1/2 tsp garlic, 1/4 dried thyme, 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp cumin)
- 1 can (15oz size) diced tomatoes (we used no salt added but any type is fine)
- 1/2 cup brown lentils, spread on a plate to check for rocks or debris, rinse before use
- 2.5 cups water (add more water at the end to create thinned soup, or eat as thick stew)
- additional salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (add more to increase heat)
- 1/2 cup fresh kale cut out the rough stems and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prep Lentils: Lentils: spread 1/2 cup lentil on a plate pick out debris and rocks if any, rinse.
- Prep Veggie: Cut small 1/2 onion. Peel and wash carrot and cut into half circles. Wash Kale thoroughly, cut out stems and chop leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Get lemon juice. Cut lemon in half. Wrap and save one half for something else in your refrigerator. Squeeze juice from the lemon into a cup. Set a aside.
- Measure just less than one Tablespoon of the spice blend. If there is more, it can be added later if you would like it to be stronger flavor.
- Open Tomato Can
- In a pot on the stove over medium heat. Melt butter. Add onion and carrot. Cook till translucent. Note: the butter will color the onion yellow so it might not look clear.
- Add spice blend and pinch (or more) red pepper flakes. Let spices heat for just 30 seconds or so.
- Add water, then tomatoes, lentils, heat till hot then cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Add Kale and Lemon Juice, adjust salt level. Add a little more water to adjust to desired consistency. Cook for 5 minutes more, then serve.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.