3-4 Yukon gold potatoes
salt and pepper
2 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
toppings: Sour cream, green onions
- wash and trim eyes/blemishes from surface of potatoes. Cut into halves if potatoes are medium or quarters if they are large. Small potatoes can be left whole. Try to have the pieces/whole potatoes be about the same size.
- Put potatoes in a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork. They need to be soft enough to smash.
- When potatoes are softened. Drain and allow steam to come off of them till the surfaces feel more dry.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- On a sheet pan, place parchment paper or silicone mat, or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the potatoes spread out on a the pan.
- Using the clean bottom of a cup or jar, smash the potatoes to flatten. If they fall apart a little it is ok. Just reshape a little with a fork.
- Melt 2 TBS butter and mix with the olive oil. Drizzle this over the smashed potatoes with a spoon. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Bake until the potatoes are browned on top and bottom. Allow to cool.
- To serve, chop green onions and serve with scoop of sour cream, or with a sauce of your choice. Enjoy!