learning about baking substitutions
Imagine you go to bake something and you find you are out of something. It isn’t a great time to go to the store and your neighbor isn’t home to ask.
This doesn’t have to mean abandoning the plan there are easy substitutions that can work for a lot of common ingredients.
Check out this list at AllRecipe.com https://www.allrecipes.com/article/common-ingredient-substitutions/
In today’s recipe we substitute banana for oil and mayonnaise for egg. The muffins are still tasty. Ingredients:
- Muffin mix
- 4 packets (about 3.5 Tablespoons) Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup smashed banana
- Lemon (juice and zest from 1/2)
- 12 muffin cup liners
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Smash 1/4 cup banana till fairly smooth
- Add muffin mix into a mixing bowl
- Combine the water, mayonnaise, and banana into the mix
- Wash and zest the lemon with a zester/grater, or use a knife to cut off just the most exterior yellow layer, leaving the white pith intact. Chop the lemon peel very finely. Add to the mixture.
- Cut the lemon in half, and squeeze half a lemon into the mix (or to your liking, watch for seeds)
- Add the poppy seed packet in and mix well.
- Next scoop muffin mix into the paper muffin liners (mix should make 12)
- Bake in the oven for 17-19 min or until golden brown on top
- Let cool, and enjoy!