Crispy, fried spring rolls from the Philippines
- 4 Wrappers
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cup of Bean Sprouts (or small handful)
- 1 Cup of Green Beans (or small handful)
- 2 tbsp of Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Packets of Soy Sauce
Ingredients not included in Beaver Bag:
- Vegetable Oil
CAUTION: FRYING SAFETY:
- For frying, choose a stove top safe pan or pot with a lid that fits, if oil in a pot ever catches fire, put on the tight fitting lid to extinguish by eliminating the source of air. Turn off the heat. Do not put water on a grease or oil fire. Don’t run with a grease fire to a sink. *This is unusual but it is good to know what to do.
- Do not put too much oil in the pan, there should be space above the oil and the top of the pan. The more room in the pot above the oil, the better. See the picture below!
- When frying use a pan lid or splash guard to prevent grease splatter.
- Use oven mitts.
- Use a wide, large, sturdy pan.
- Don’t put wet food in the fryer.
- Never leave the pan of hot oil unattended.
- Turn pan handles away from cooker.
- Make sure it is a child-free zone in the kitchen.
- Add and Remove food with large heat safe slotted spoon or tongs. Move food carefully and do not splash.
- To dispose of oil safely, leave to cool completely, put in a food container to throw away or refrigerate and reuse. Never pour down your sink.
- Cut bell peppers, carrots, onions, and green beans into thin strips, julienne style. Cut garlic in small pieces.
- Heat pot or pan over medium heat, add oil and then add your onions and garlic and saute until light brown. Add carrots and green beans and saute for 2-3 min until tender. Add the rest of the veggies and cook over medium high heat.
- Mix occasionally to make sure they don’t stick and burn.
- Season with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and pepper. Mix well and cook for 3-4 min or until water from vegetables has evaporated.
- Transfer excess liquid into a bowl to use later.
- Transfer vegetables into a new bowl to cool, this will be your filling for your lumpia.
- Prepare room temperature wrappers. Add about 2 tbsp of filling and roll then seal with water by lining water on the edges of the wrappers.
- Heat a deep fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and fry until golden brown.
- Something you can do after wrapping and before frying is to place your lumpias in a freezer to stiffen up
- After you have finished frying your lumpias, use the excess liquid as a dipping sauce
- Take them out of the fryer and set aside to cool down
- Serve with rice and you’re ready to eat!