The Occupational Health Branch at the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) will be recruiting in early 2018 for a Public Health Medical Officer III civil service position located in Richmond, California (San Francisco Bay Area). The duties of the non-supervisory PHMO III position are shared between two major areas: 1) initiating occupational health surveillance, investigation, and intervention activities and providing medical expertise to existing programs including occupational lead poisoning and pesticide illness; and 2) serving as lead for a division-wide Emergency Preparedness Team that focuses on readiness for and response to hazardous material releases and natural disasters that may affect workers and community members.
Civil service jobs require a 2-step process: 1) apply to get on a CDPH civil service hiring list for a classification for which you are eligible; and 2) wait to be notified of vacancies for that classification, then apply for that specific job and the interview process conducted by the hiring supervisor.
To apply for the CDPH PHMO III list:
- Go to https://calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/8H1AE02.PDF
- Follow instructions exactly; call Human Resources if you have questions about the process.
- This process is not quick, but it is the only way you can get a CDPH job if you are not already in a lateral civil service classification, have worked previously for the State, etc.
- More information is available at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/HRB/Pages/HumanResourcesBranch.aspx
- Apply before December 18 application deadline
- Please contact Barbara Materna, PhD, CIH, Chief, Occupational Health Branch, CDPH at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 620-5730 to let her know you are interested in this position. Website: www.cdph.ca.gov/OHB