Outside In is a non-profit Federally Qualified Health Care Clinic and a program for homeless youths.
The Health and Safety Specialist acts as the agency’s subject matter expert (SME) on health and safety related issues. This position will support the Safety Committee as SME and will facilitate follow through for safety related decisions of the committee. The position will act as the point of contact for any emergencies supporting the Leadership Team as appropriate.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Evaluate and maintain the agency’s emergency preparedness program, policies and procedures.
- Comply with federal, state, and local safety regulations by studying legislation, interpreting standards, enforcing adherence, and advising management on needed actions.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are conducted, evaluated, and correctly reported, risk assessments are conducted and employees are aware of their responsibilities.
- Act as the point person for any health & safety related incident processes, carry out post incident analysis and reporting.
- Facilitate debriefing sessions after significant incidents
- Manage the Emergency Response System (Alert Media)
- Provide training opportunities for staff related to health and safety.
- Monitor and maintain First Aid, Exposure Control, and Naloxone Kits. Research, purchase, and/or make purchasing recommendations for safety equipment.
- In coordination with the HR Manager and HR Director, ensure any injured/exposed staff are supported; complete and file all required paperwork (i.e., OSHA 300) and support staff in following procedures. Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Ensure OSHA compliance and utilize SAIF resources to support staff workspace safety.
- Maintain various reports that relate to staff and volunteer health and wellness and ensure their functionality and the accuracy of distribution lists.
- Support HR initiatives. Work closely with staff to enhance the work of the organization by communicating agency policy, mission, and processes to staff.
- Support employee wellness.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Be a champion for Diversity and promoting inclusion of all people into appropriate processes or activities.
- Be aware of safety and report any concerns to leadership or safety committee
- Be always looking for process improvement opportunities.
- Is a mandatory reporter and is familiar with how to report observations.
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Project Management
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s preferred, Associate’s degree required.
- Previous experience in developing safety, emergency preparedness, and occupational health programs required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective handling of Health and Safety investigations
- Experience of formulating, implementing and revising Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Excellent boundaries and ability to hold confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with teams across the organization.
- Strong computer and organizational skills.
- Occupational safety experience