Sharon’s story: Gardening helps us make sense of the world.

“I became a Master Gardener because of my own passion to garden.  I wanted to learn more about plants and gardening. I had seen the Master Gardener booths in the community, and regularly attended the Spring Garden Fair in Canby. I was impressed with the organization and wanted to join that community.

I take pride in being able to tell the stories for the organization through my photos, my work with the chapter as Clackamas County Master Gardener Association webmaster and social media admin. And also, being on the planning committee for the Spring Garden Fair, running publicity and taking photos of the event. It’s a source of pride to know that I help spread the word about our organization to so many in our community.

Information and education are the keys to success for just about any worthwhile endeavor. With so many changes happening around us many are turning to gardening to try and make sense of all this.  Some want to grow food, and some just want to make the world a more beautiful place one plant at a time. (like me!)  The Master Gardener organization provides so many tools for success, from free classes – in person and online, to hands on workshops, and programs that support community gardens. Events like our Spring Garden Fair, Incredible Edibles, and Gardenfest Plant sale all bring the public together with tools to get started in the garden from plants to free advice. The diversity of the demonstration gardens in our Metro area are just one more way we are reaching out and educating the public. It’s hard to imagine our community without these programs and events.”

This is but one of the many stories of the OSU Extension Master Gardener program we’re sharing this month in honor of Dam Proud Day. On April 26, Beavers everywhere will come together to support the things we do best: transformative educational experiences and life-changing research.

We are excited to be raising support specifically for our Seed to Supper program and updating our foundational resource, the “Sustainable Gardening Handbook” to reflect current knowledge. Please join us in gathering your friends and colleagues to give to support the Master Gardener Program on Dam Proud Day, at any donation level. See you (online) April 26th!

One Reply to “Sharon’s story: Gardening helps us make sense of the world.”

1. I have worked beside Sharon as a fellow Master Gardener for many years. She works tirelessly for the program and the Clackamas County Chapter. We all know we can count on Sharon whenever we are in need of help. I have heard many people say ” we couldn’t do this without Sharon”. And that is the truth. She is one of the most special people I know and I am so glad that I met her through the Master Gardener Program and we have become friends.