Winter Week 4 Blog

Before this semester, I have been using Unity to develop mobile games. Since the adapter for mobile games can be installed on the computer, this means that if I want to develop a game that works on Android phones, I only need to download a mobile phone simulation on the computer. And pack the game files into Apk files. The advantage of this is that it allows programmers to quickly check whether there are loopholes in the game and modify them in time. For development teams with tight funds and no Android phones, they can also use mobile phone emulators to adapt games on various screens and operating systems. However, the test of the VR game made me feel uncomfortable. Although our professor gave us an Oculus quest for free for us to test the game, when the computer is connected to the Oculus quest, the computer’s CPU needs to run the unity program and perform the scene at the same time. Rendering, Oculus Linked data transmission also requires computer hardware to operate. As a result, my laptop is not perfect for game testing. When I set up a simple scene, the picture that Oculus quest saw was the same as the PPT, with a pitiful few frames. I didn’t think of this problem when I took over the VR game project.
Regarding the test of VR games, I tried two methods that take a lot of time this week. The first is to package the files in Unity and download them to Oculus Quest. This means that I have not performed a system test, I have to repeatedly package the file and download it. This took me a lot of time, and I had to choose the second way. The second way is to temporarily ignore the player’s game experience. I will simulate the game screen directly in the Unity engine. I transferred the way of character operation to the keyboard through script, which is a bit like developing a 3D game rather than a VR game. In order to better develop VR games, I decided to upgrade my laptop hardware next week, hoping that it can help me implement the program better.