Welcome to the start of a new term! Please read on for a few reminders and updates.
Changes to OSU Online Directory
The following changes were made recently to the Online directory (directory.oregonstate.edu):
- ONID accounts that have not yet been activated will no longer display in search results
- Home address and home phone have been removed from directory display for all accounts (regardless of Banner Directory Profile settings)
- Anonymous access to LDAP has also been changed to remove home phone and home address and no longer display accounts that have not been activated.
Note – Previously, employee home phone and address were only in the directory if the employee enabled it (opt-in) from the Banner Directory Profile. Student profiles included this information by default (opt-out).
Accounts that are not yet active will still show in contool and reftool.
(Thanks go to Erica Lomax for this update.)
Always Make a Ticket!
When you work with a customer, please always make a ticket. You should try to get the person’s name, but if you don’t, you can still make a ticket under “phone @log”.
If you refer the customer somewhere else, make a ticket using the Referral form. (Referral instructions here.) Use referral with caution. Never “refer” to another group in Information Services. We are Information Services! And for CN customers, don’t refer warranty or other hardware repair – even if we don’t do the repair ourselves, we will coordinate with the vendor. That is part of the value add of the CN service.
I’ve added a new section to the IS Service Desk Process Guide regarding hardware repair.
Please note we provide a different service level for CN customers than for personal devices. Ask in #sd-mentors if you have questions.
Banner 8 is Gone; Long Live Banner 9
As of January 1, 2019, Banner 8 has been decommissioned. The links on the banner.oregonstate.edu landing page and in MyOSU have been updated. Customers may need to update bookmarks.
Banner 9 has been running in parallel with Banner 8 for several months. See the Banner Service InfoSheet for more information and links to the Banner 9 getting started video and Survival Guide.
Reminder: for Banner 9, Chrome is recommended. Modern versions of Edge, Firefox and Safari also work. IE does not work with Banner 9.
If a customer attempts to connect to Banner 8, they will see an error similar to the following:
*ERROR* Object SPAIDEN is no longer authorized for INB access
(Thanks to Chris Young for this update.)
Windows 10 1809 Image in Production
As of 12/31/2018, the Windows 10 1809 image has been tested and moved to production and is now the default for new CN builds.
If you currently use USB boot sticks to connect to the deployment server you will need to update them with the latest boot image: \\iscs-mdt-cifs.tss.oregonstate.edu\Deploy\Boot
- FontSmoothing is deprecated since Windows 10 uses ClearType by default now. Windows customization (unattend.xml) files have been updated.
- Windows app 3D Builder was removed from the app whiteliste since Microsoft stopped including it in the base install after 1703.
- New Windows apps have been whitelisted, including:
- The Microsoft.HEIFImageExtension package enables Windows 10 devices to read and write files that use the High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) format.
- The Microsoft.ScreenSketch app gives you all of the functionality of the Snipping Tool with additional improvements. Originally introduced as part of the Windows Ink Workspace, this package is now an app which comes with a variety of benefits, including that it can now be updated via the Microsoft Store.
- The Microsoft.VP9VideoExtensions package adds support for the efficient open source video codec VP9 developed as part of the WebM Project by Google.
- The Microsoft.WebpImageExtension package adds support for the new modern image format WebP that provides superior lossless and lossy compression for images on the web.
(Thanks go to Jim Galloway in Endpoint Management for this update. Please direct questions or comments to Chris Sinnett.)
Duo Required for Client Services Employees
As of 1/1/2019, Duo sign-up is mandatory for all Client Services employees, including student employees. I know Max is working with the few folks who are not currently enrolled. Please also note that you cannot request opt-out of Duo while working for Client Services.
There is a project underway to make Duo mandatory for all OSU employees in the near future. More updates on that as we have them.