The OSU Extension website is constantly being updated with new and current articles to support the public’s need for timely and relevant information. OSU Extension Master Gardeners refer to much of this content when advising and answering questions to the general public. A new garden content team, made up of OSU home horticulture faculty, has been strategically identifying and publishing new articles to support this need.
Recent articles Master Gardeners may find helpful:
- How to avoid spreading invasive species in plant sales or plant swaps (developed in conjunction with Oregon Sea Grant Extension). This article is specific to prevention of passing along Jumping Worm.
- How do I test my garden soil? Good basic advice on why, what and how.
- How do I collect a soil sample for testing? Video demonstrating how to gather a soil sample for testing. (Developed by Dennis Brown, OSU Extension Master Gardener volunteer, Portland Metro Area)
- Should I wait to clean up the garden in order to help conserve insects? Addressing a popular early spring meme.
- Heatwave in the garden: how to identify and prevent heat stress in plants. Developed proactively before our recent high heat event, with examples of different kinds of heat stress, and what gardeners can do to prepare and during a heatwave.
- Dealing with Ticks. This article was developed specifically to help support volunteers and staff receiving inquiries about ticks in the garden.
Wondering what’s the latest in new articles by the garden content team? Visit Get your gardening questions answered on the Master Gardener website and see “Recent gardening articles” at the bottom of the page. Also, this page is a helpful resource to point to the different ways the public can get help:
- Ask a question online;
- Connect with their local Master Gardeners;
- Access OSU Extension research and articles
In addition, new publications to OSU Extension’s vast catalog are constantly being updated and published. Some recent materials that may be relevant to Master Gardeners:
- Japanese Beetles in Oregon, revised, and a new version published in Spanish
- Growing Kiwifruit in Your Home Garden
- How to Control Slugs in Your Garden / Cómo Controlar a las Babosas en su Jardín
- Pest Alert: Spotted Lanternfly is an Invasive Insect That May Impact Oregon
- How to Use Compost in Gardens and Landscapes
Wondering what’s the latest being released in the OSU Extension Catalog? You can find the new publications here.
Keep your Master Gardener coordinators informed of trending questions or needs from the public, and check for new publications periodically. We’re working hard to ensure our mission and to support the great work of Master Gardener volunteers.