Bean & Cheese Burrito

Bean & Cheese burritos are the recipe of the week. Savory, cheesy, and packed with protein – it’s a great budget stretching dinner to add to your meal rotation.

Visit Isabel Orozco-Moore’s blog Isabel Eats to read her way to make a burrito (including a nice picture guide for folding.)  Her blog is great! Bringing authentic Mexican recipes with gorgeous photographs, her work is to share well tested versions that are easy for even beginning home cooks. https://www.isabeleats.com/bean-and-cheese-burritos#wprm-recipe-container-24805. Besides her website she is on youtube and instagram.

In the bag today you have the basic building blocks for a simple burrito: tortillas, cheese, beans, and taco sauce.  You can add ingredients at home to make Isabel’s version or try your own.

Tip: Store extra refried beans, cheese, and tortillas in the refrigerator after opening.

Food & Meal Planning Thought of the week: 

When I was living in the dorm my sophomore year, I had a meal plan that covered some but not all of my meals. Bean burritos were a go-to meal for me. They can be made easily in the microwave or on the stove top. One can of refried beans can make 4 small or 3 medium burritos. They were a piece of my food strategy.

What were my food needs? I knew my time was valuable to me – I had a full course load, 2 campus jobs, traveled on the debate team, I was dating, joined a faith community, and had fun just being with my friends on campus studying or at that time sitting in lounges watching music videos on tv.

I thought about how food fit into my priorities.  I wanted to ‘eat healthy’ and not work too hard at it. I wanted foods ready in a couple of minutes that were fast to eat. To feel satisfied I wanted to eat protein and fiber rich foods. Variety was less important to me in my dorm so there I arrived at my strategy. To feel satisfied I wanted to eat protein and fiber rich foods.

I would regularly buy a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, a small jar of raspberry jelly, tortillas, a can of refried beans, and the smallest pack of cheese at the grocery store. I’d visit Taco Bell occasionally and stock up on extra packets of hot sauce to keep in my dorm so I didn’t have to spend extra money.  Peanut butter and Jelly alternating with bean & cheese burritos wasn’t always a lot of variety but it met my needs for food strategy. I could change it up when I decided to.

-Emily, Food Security Programs Manager at the the BNC