It was recently brought to my attention that the mission of the IS Service Desk is not clear to all of our technicians.
Please note: it is not my expectation that we be the experts on everything that customers might bring to us. However, it is my expectation that we will tell customers what we CAN do to help, and route them to the right places or help them find the information they need. Customers may sometimes have unreasonable expectations, and if that happens, you are welcome to refer them to a supervisor.
The following statement is located on the Service Desk website. Please tell me if this covers the issue clearly or if more clarity is needed. This is not a mission statement (yet) but will be the raw material for establishing one.
The IS Service Desk is the single point of contact for getting help with all services provided by Information Services. This includes general assistance with campus-wide services such as ONID, the wireless network, and Canvas, as well as the desktop support service known as Community Network.
We provide “Tier 1” technical support to students and employees. For more difficult technical problems, we make referrals to department IT contacts or outside support services as needed.
We also help with any software not listed here to the best of our abilities and as time permits. This support is provided on a “best effort” basis.
Students and employees may contact the IS Service Desk by phone, email, or walk-up.
If you continue to the “About” page, the following is also outlined:
- Help with password changes and login problems
- Application support (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Operating system problem or error diagnosis
- Assistance and education with malware removal
- Laptop service for personal devices (To best serve you, we require you to stay with your laptop for 30 minutes to ensure the problem is completely understood and we have enough details from you to solve the problem.)
- Basic hardware diagnosis
- Simple hardware replacement: hard drive, CD-ROM, battery, RAM
- Laptop wireless connectivity
- Operating system installation/rebuilds
- Wireless printing
- Residence hall network (ResNet) connection help
- Technology education
- ONID, unified OSU accounts, Canvas, Online Services, and other campus technology support
- Referrals to the appropriate place for help
Our goal as a team is to help you overcome your computer problems, to the best of our ability.
Services NOT available
- Intensive hardware repairs – such as motherboard or LCD screen replacements – on personal devices.
- Unassisted customer data backup for personal devices. You must be present at all times. We prefer that you also bring your own backup medium, although we also have temporary, 30 day storage available.