Future Expatriate Compensation Considerations

As I look into my future I can see myself working in a competitive sales role in the future with a large international company. Lets say after a few years I work my way up to being one of the top salesman in the west coast and potentially one of the top rising salesman in the country not only in my company but the industry that I am in. imagining this has happened an I have been presented with a huge career opportunity for the long term. This opportunity would have to do with expatriate compensation and thank you to my MGMT 549 class back in college has prepared me for this decision. I now know some of the factors that I would be looking for and considering in making my decsion to pursue this huge opprotuntiy.

Some of the factors that I would be looking at when considering whether to pursue this opportunity or not includes how the base pay would be set between the home and host country, various elements of compensation, and look to avoid repatriation. When I look at the factor of my base salary I would not want it to based off of either home or based pay really. I would want to be paid more than what I am currently am in the new foreign place. For me pay would be a big factor in my decision. As I am not a big fan in moving/relocating I would need to make really good money and even more than before to really consider this. Money talks. These various elements are things like incentives, allowances for housing and utilities, goods and services as well as standard and enhanced benefits. These incentives are really important to me and are a extra benefit and I see them as another form of compensation. Lastly for repatriation If I go back home and to nodal I don’t want for it to be to much of a drop off and difference if possible in term of compensation. Like I learned in my MGMT 549 course some expatriate treat the return home like a punishment. So I would want to make sure my agreement would be I wouldn’t feel this way to much when taking on the new opportunity. If I don’t feel comfortable with the move than I don’t have to do it. What would convince me moving forward would be to hear of the awesome opportunities it can bring me. Also probably most importantly is the safety of the opportunity making me feel more comfortable.