Review of Mindmeister: silly name, useful tool.

I reviewed Mindmeister-an online mind mapping tool.  Overall, this tool was useful and creating an example did indeed help to clarify my thoughts. (See below for an example using my Master Gardener hybrid class.) MindMeister offers a free account with three mind maps and basic functionality with fee-based upgrades.  The map is fully exportable in many different formats.  The map can also be shared with colleagues so that can collaborative work can be done.   I don’t know if I would have my Master Gardener participants use this as a requirement because it does take someone tech-savvy to not get frustrated.  (The website has many options so there is a bit of a learning curve.)  A minor annoyance was that the map had a tendency to reset or snap to a grid where the bubbles were placed with defined spacing.  I spent probably too much time fussing over the bubbles than the content of the bubbles.  Overall, I found this tool handy and will likely use it again. 4 stars!

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 2.01.33 PM

About Brooke Edmunds

My focus is on meeting the community horticulture needs in Linn & Benton counties. In this role, I oversee the Master Gardener programs in each county. I also coordinate research-based educational programs in community food systems and IPM. Veggies are my passion!
This entry was posted in Tools and Resources for Hybrid Courses and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Review of Mindmeister: silly name, useful tool.

1. Jeff Hino says:

Thanks for investigating this one, Brooke. I have played with it, too, and know how it can be a little irritating how it wants to create/place bubbles. Another great use for this kind of mind mapping capability is to to use it to plan for creation of other media, like Prezi and Pachyderm, where the non-linear nature of the map can be a great way to create a mock-up of how the pieces inter-relate.

2. Cub Kahn says:

Does anyone have experience with other mind-mapping tools? What’s your favorite? I’m interested in hearing your recommendations?