Over the last week or two I have worked with Kirsten, Samuel, and others to accomplish some clean-up and standardization in ITKnowS!. The goal was to determine what document types we needed and develop templates to use for creating those types of documents in the future. For now, we have settled on the following basic groupings:
- Service Information Sheets – lists the relevant information relating to a campus service.
- Application Information Sheets – lists the relevant information relating to an application.
- Policy Information Sheets – lists the relevant information relating to a specific Client Services or Information Services policy.
- Departmental Information Sheets – lists the relevant information relating to a CN supported department.
- Procedure Information Sheets – cheat sheets and checklists with the relevant information relating to an internal process.
- Service or Application Guide – lists the relevant information relating to services we manage a portion of or applications with a large volume of information.
Templates were created in ITKnowS! for each of these document types so new documentation can be entered into a standardized format. To utilize one of the templates when creating a new document (post):
- Scroll over the +New link at the top of the ITKnowS! main window.
- Select the Post option in the menu to open a blank Post screen.
- Click on the Insert Template button near the middle of the page.
- Pick an appropriate template from the drop-down menu and click on the second Insert Template button to add the template to your new post.
- Add or replace information in the different sections of the template and save the post when you are done!
As part of the clean-up, some of existing posts were updated with the new infosheet format or consolidated into the guide format. The following applications and services have been standardized or created.
- Adobe CC
- Casper Suite
- Data Warehouse
- Degree Works
- Office 2016
- SQL Developer
If you have questions pertaining to creating posts in ITKnowS!, or have feedback about the document types or templates, feel free to get with me (Todd) for clarification.
Go Forth And Document!