Revolutionizing the classroom: Embracing diverse teaching strategies for impactful learning

By Md Atikur Rahman, doctoral student, OSU College of Health

Learning Innovation Center - Oregon State University

Having examined the chapter on instructional methods and strategies in An Evidence-based Guide to College and University Teaching, I am fascinated by the various ways that might greatly improve teaching and learning experiences. This contemplation has motivated me to explore a wide range of approaches for upcoming teaching prospects, with the goal of establishing a vibrant, all-encompassing, and efficient learning atmosphere (Richmond et al., 2021):

A technique that appealed to me is active learning, which emphasizes student involvement in conversations, problem-solving, and collaborative work, shifting the attention from the teacher to the students. I support student-centered learning as it empowers students to actively engage in their education, leading to a better comprehension and retention of knowledge.

Collaborative learning is a significant method that emphasizes learning as a social process. Collaborating in groups allows students to exchange varied viewpoints, stimulate each other’s thoughts, and cultivate essential collaboration abilities. This approach improves academic learning and readies students for the collaborative aspects of the professional environment.

I am eager to investigate problem-based learning (PBL) as another instructional approach. PBL requires students to tackle intricate, real-world challenges, encouraging the application of theoretical knowledge in practical scenarios. This method promotes critical thinking, creativity, and the practical application of knowledge, enhancing the relevance and engagement of learning

The chapter emphasized the significance of culturally responsive teaching for establishing an inclusive school atmosphere that celebrates diversity. This entails recognizing my cultural prejudices, adjusting teaching approaches to accommodate varied student requirements, and integrating a range of perspectives into the curriculum.

Moreover, incorporating technology and multimedia in education can significantly improve the learning process. Utilizing films, interactive simulations, and online collaboration tools can offer students many methods to interact with knowledge, accommodating different learning styles and simplifying intricate topics.

My future teaching strategy will include instructional methods focusing on active, collaborative, and problem-based learning, together with culturally responsive teaching practices and the strategic use of technology. By implementing these tactics, I intend to establish a dynamic, inclusive, and highly engaging learning environment for every student.

Reference:

Richmond, A. S., Boysen, G. A., & Gurung, R. A. R. (2021). What instructional methods do model teachers use? In An evidence-based guide to college and university teaching. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781003119562-6

About the author: My name is Md Atikur Rahman, a Ph.D. student in nutrition at Oregon State University’s College of Health. I have started my academic journey in Corvallis in the fall of 2023. Originally from Bangladesh, I am taking the GRAD 516 Graduate Teaching Seminar with Funmi Amobi, a course that has significantly influenced my understanding of effective teaching and pedagogy, marking a transformative step in both of my academic and personal growth.

Editor’s note: This post is based on an Ecampus GRAD 516 Graduate Teaching Seminar assignment from Dr. Funmi Amobi, CTL instructional consultant and college liaison. This response is posted with the permission of the author. The opinions expressed in guest posts are solely those of the authors.