Bringing Life To Ancestry – Jacqueline Keating

Even though I’ve been back home from Ireland for two months now, I’m still transported back occasionally; sometimes when I smell rain on the grass, or when a breeze blows past on a cloudy day, or when I’m on the Oregon coast and a wave crashes against a rock. In the fall of 2015, I […]

February 11, 2016

Even though I’ve been back home from Ireland for two months now, I’m still transported back occasionally; sometimes when I smell rain on the grass, or when a breeze blows past on a cloudy day, or when I’m on the Oregon coast and a wave crashes against a rock. In the fall of 2015, I studied for a semester at University College Cork, and had an absolute blast. I was apprehensive at first—I’d never 2traveled abroad by myself before—but the friendly staff at the international office and the wonderful individuals I met, both native Irish and other Study Abroad participants, put me quickly at ease. I joined a few clubs—the international society, the sailing club, and the orienteering club were all great ways to get involved on campus. The international society’s goal was to help all of the new exchange students like me get to know each other and some of the Irish students, while also getting us oriented with the beautiful city which was to become our home for the next few months. Helping students get acquainted with the city was also the goal of the orienteering club. Cork city really is an Irish jewel—I loved walking around the labyrinthine streets of Cork and finding the great local eateries and coffee shops that abound there. The towns outside of Cork were equally enjoyable—windy Kinsale, historic Cobh, quiet Middleton. Each holds a special place in my memory.

3The people, culture, and epic landscapes blew me away and continue to make me yearn for the country daily. Perhaps one of the most rewarding experiences was getting to meet some distant Irish relatives living in County Waterford—the descendants of my grandfather’s cousins. Meeting these kind-hearted individuals who opened their doors and set their tables for a young American of whom they were only vaguely aware was really touching and brought to life my Irish ancestry. They helped me hike in pouring rain to the little house in the Comeragh mountains in which my great-grandfather used to dwell in the years before he left Cobh for New York. That was an experience I’ll always hold dear in my heart, and which I hope to repeat.

Besides the extensive outdoor learning and exploring I did while in Ireland, I received an excellent education, enrolling in enriching literature and Irish history courses taught by interesting and interested professors. Each day I got to walk to school, passing a line of colorful houses with names like Roseleigh and Dara, and reach the historic and gorgeous stone campus of University College Cork. Overall, I wanted to thank the Honors College and my Study Abroad program, IE3Global, for making my trip a smooth and unforgettable one.

CATEGORIES: All Stories Experience