Blog Post: Job Application Experiences

• Over this past month I had the opportunity to work through the application process at a recruiting firm in Oregon. Through this process I talked to two people on the phone, worked with the HR director over email to then set up a zoom interview with the head director of the North West. This zoom interview was an hour and half and at the end he told me the reasons he really liked me for this job and also the concerns he had. The last step in the process was a half day with the company which during COVID times meant pretty much 6 short interviews with people from the Portland office. During the interview process I was in constant contact with their HR director and had to fill out paperwork and work with them over email to schedule interviews and work through the process.
  • When I think about how this job application process effected how I view this job I think that it had a big impact on me wanting the job more and also that the company cared to take many different times out of there day to meet with me to make sure I am the right person for the job. I think that through this job application process I realized that this is a company who really cares for their employees and wants only the people who will fit into their company to work there. Through this process I also got the opportunity to see how much the company cares about their employees and customers and that was a very important factor I looked for in a company.

2 Replies to “Blog Post: Job Application Experiences”

1. It sounds like you went through a very in-depth and thorough job application experience. As you mentioned that you went through this during Covid times, I’m sure it looked differently than pre-Covid. I really admire that your interviewee told you the reasons he really liked you for the job and concerns he had afterwards because this is a good opportunity for constructive criticism. It also allows you to reflect on the things you did well in the application process to use again in the future. One thing you can never avoid in the job application process is paperwork. Scheduling interviews and paperwork are a rather dull part of the process however equally important. I felt the same way through my application experience; the longer it took, the more I wanted the job. Working for a company that cares about their employees is very important and I’m really happy that you were able to experience a company like this. This reflects the company‘s culture and the working environment you could potentially be in which sounds very supportive. Great blog post!

2. Hi Ellen!
    It seems like this company spends a lot of time ensuring that they get a good recruit that fits their company goals and culture. I think the fact that they had multiple different job interviews shows this. I also thought it was very interesting that they told you the things that they felt were good about you as well as the concerns they had. I think it says a lot about the company that they were willing to give you on the spot feedback instead of making you guess what you did well and what you did not. I think this is something all companies should incorporate into their interviewing process.