Please read for a few important updates.
Service Desk Walk-in Relaunch
Starting Monday, July 19, we will be accepting walk-ins in Milne 201 again. I will be updating our webpage and email templates to reflect this change.
Customers who have a Milne appointment scheduled can come into 201 to meet us. They no longer need to ring the bell.
If you are helping a customer on the phone and decide they need help in person – or they ask for help in person – you can provide the following options:
- Offer to make an appointment for them to meet a technician in Milne. Use Bookings to make the appointment.
- For CN customers, we can schedule a technician to meet the customer in their office.
- Customers can drop in to the Milne walk-up any time Monday-Friday 8am-5pm during the Summer.
Please reach out to me, Max, Jeff or Andre if you have any questions about this.
CN Build Email Templates
I’ve made several changes to the email response templates related to computer builds:
- There is a new category called “SD – Builds”
- The template that was called “Computer pickup” is now called “Computer is ready” and has correct options for pick-up, placement or shipping. Please use this one when notifying a customer that their computer build is done.
- The templates for Windows and Mac interviews have been moved to the SD – Builds category.
- The “Computer Shipped” template has been moved to the SD – Builds category.
- I removed several defunct templates, including: Schedule PC Placement, Schedule PC Placement (Extension), Stop tag authorization, Schedule PC Interview, and Schedule PC Interview (Extension).
- I still need to update several places in the KB.
Cosine Transition Update
We now have access to the Cosine ONID organizational units, so we can move Cosine user accounts with ONIDMover if needed.
If we have a Cosine computer that needs a rebuild, go ahead and build the computer with the CN image. Computer objects for Cosine should be placed in tss.oregonstate.edu/CN/Cosine.
We now have limited access with our admin accounts in the science.oregonstate.edu domain. We can manage computer objects and have admin access to Cosine lab computers. For security group changes, contact a full-timer and we will escalate the request.
Guest Access in Teams
It is now possible to request guest access be enabled for a team. A request form has been added to TDx.
For details, see: Teams – Chat with External Members or add Guests to a Team
Changes to CN New Account Form
The CN new account form now includes two date fields – a start date for the new employee, and a date the changes are needed by (if earlier than the employee start date).
The “account type” field has been updated to include these three options:
- Grad Student
- Undergraduate Student Employee or Other (Intern, Volunteer, etc.)
In the case of the third option, we will create a CN Active Directory account. The account can only be used for Windows login and Exchange email. If the customer needs more services, such as VPN, Zoom, Teams, or Box, they should request a sponsored account instead.
For details about new CN accounts, see: CN – Setup a CN Account for a New Employee
For details about sponsored accounts, see: Sponsored ONID Accounts (Internal)