Four Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For 2020

Of the top 100 companies to work for in 2020, I wanted to look at the number 1, number 100, and a couple in-between to get a sense of the range these organizations cover in terms of what it takes to be considered a top 100 company. Starting out with #1, Hilton presents very high marks in all regards. Employees feel welcome, celebrated, and proud to say they work for this company. Something I found interesting was the similarity in the type of company #1 Hilton is as #100 Four Seasons; both being hospitality. Hilton did not have any information on tenure, however Four Seasons has a high tenure percentage as compared to other companies I looked at. 30% have worked there 10+ years making their demographic relatively higher than # 94, The Goldman Sachs Group. At GS, 68% of employees are millennials. This number shocked me because of how competitive it is to get a job here. Upon further research I found only about 3-4% of applicants get hired. Because of this limited acceptance rate, HR managers are able to be very specific with their hiring practices and the success of their talent finds is evident in the historically high success of this company as a whole. One last comparison I wanted to make was in regards to number of employees. Not all companies provided this information, but #79 Nugget Market has an 87% employee satisfaction rate and just 2,113 employees, whereas #100 Four Seasons has an 84% satisfaction rate and over 17,000 employees. To me it is more impressive to have that kind of satisfaction with more employees because it means they have been able to scale their management to accommodate nearly 9 times as many people.

Because of the information this website chose to include when proving the satisfaction of employees, it is clear that making the work feel meaningful is an important and challenging aspect of managing employees. I know I want to create personal relationships with the people I am leading to create a culture where personal fulfillment comes from a sense of pride in the work they are accomplishing. Creating that connection is a huge challenge because everyone communicates, learns, and prioritizes differently. There is a certain level of standardization you can create to get employees on the same page, however if someone doesn’t decide to subscribe to the structure management has put in place, they can easily become dissatisfied in the conditions under which they are working. Because I find personal connections so important, I think I would be better suited to manage a smaller team of direct reports. In the Google article, it said managers have a team of about 30 people so there is less opportunity to micromanage the engineers, but I wonder how well they are able to build the trust necessary to allow for that kind of freedom in the workplace.