Jan
17

Is this blog making a difference (2)?

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by englem on 17-01-2013

I’m an evaluator.

I want to know if something makes a difference; if the change is for the better; if it has value, merit, worth.

After all, the root of evaluation is value.

I haven’t answered individually the numerous comments that have been posted.  I just continue to write and see what happens.  I’m hoping that some of what I’ve said over the past now over three years has 1) made sense; 2) made a difference; and 3) been worthwhile.  I also hope you reader have been able to use some of what you have read here.  I don’t know.

Someone is keeping track of my analytic measures; that’s wonderful.  Some blogs use that as a measure of making a difference; I don’t.  I look at what people say.  I read every comment even if I don’t respond.  A lot of folks say that the information has been interesting; that the blog is well written; that I should continue.  No one says how they use the material, or, for that matter, if they do.  So, reader, I have a challenge:

Post a comment about how you have used the information you have read here.  Post it next week when I won’t be blogging (see last week).  Let me know.  I’ll summarize the responses when I get back.  I won’t do this for very long–two, maybe three weeks; a month at most.  (When I posted previously a link to a quick on-line survey, I kept the survey open for only two weeks; not long enough for some folks.)

Other blog writers get comments not dissimilar to mine (I read a lot of blogs for ideas).  I don’t see that folks are actually giving the writer specific information on what difference the blog has made in the lives of the reader.  I must confess, I don’t let them know either.  So since this is a new year, and everyone is trying new behaviors, the new behavior I’m asking for here is Tell me what difference this blog has made/is making.

Be Sociable, Share!

25 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

Amy Grotta on 22 January, 2013 at 9:56 am #

I receive your new posts in my email. Whenever there is information that I know I’ll want to refer back to later in my work, I save the email. Right now there are six posts from you in my email folder. A very quick look and I can come up with one concrete example, I used your post about confidence levels and margin of error in surveys just the other day in estimating a sample size that I will need for an upcoming survey. Thanks.

Dean Voss on 1 February, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

I can’t tell you if it’s making a difference (yet). I can tell you it’s not changing my life in anyway. But, I can tell you in my process of launching a new marketing blog, it’s been helpful. And that is certainly enough. So keep on keepin’ on my friend!

Alex on 2 February, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I completely agree about not using pageviews as a metric of success. A good quantitative measure is average time per pageview. If you use google analytics – which if you don’t you should really look into it – you can see how long your viewers spend on each of your posts. It’s a good way to find out if people are reading your posts or not. I use it on my site conspiracy critic, and it’s incredibly helpful. I completely ignore the “total pageviews”, and only count the ones that have more than 2-3 minutes per page. Anyways, I enjoy what you write, so keep at it! best of luck!

Dazines on 7 February, 2013 at 4:43 am #

How I am using your information? Well first of all, until I read the text, I really do not know if the information you provide will be useful for me. When I am reading, the signals are transported to the brain and each signal takes particular place in the semantic network connecting with similar signals and thus create possible answer to some question or task.
I am working more technical work that needs a lot of concentration and technical skills. You can’t help me there. But this information fits perfectly in the development of more complex scenarios where I have to judge or brainstorm or make the right decision.
With one word, I like sites, which are written by free minds, also expressing their knowledge in the field they’re working in.

sb7703 on 19 February, 2013 at 4:36 am #

A acceptable quantitative admeasurement is boilerplate time per pageview. If you use google analytics – which if you don’t you should absolutely attending into it – you can see how continued your admirers absorb on anniversary of your posts.

hypnotherapy brighton on 19 February, 2013 at 4:38 am #

Whenever there is advice that I apperceive I’ll wish to accredit aback to after in my work, I save the email. Right now there are six posts from you in my email folder. A actual quick attending and I can appear up with one accurate example, I acclimated your column about aplomb levels and allowance of absurdity in surveys just the added day in ciphering a sample admeasurement that I will charge for an accessible survey.

pulau tidung on 21 February, 2013 at 1:01 am #

I can tell you it’s not changing my life in anyway. But, I can tell you in my process of launching a new marketing blog, it’s been helpful. And that is certainly enough

Prince on 21 February, 2013 at 4:57 am #

Yah this blog is making a dfference. I love it.

[...] weeks ago (January 17, 2013), I asked if this blog was making a difference and asked that y’all post specific examples of how it is making that difference–I [...]

Mary on 2 March, 2013 at 10:46 am #

I think the blog makes a difference too. Positive thoughts always make a difference

Dita on 12 May, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

I we strive to publish valuable information, I believe we may make a difference to our readers. After all, they found our bogs, spent some time on our blogs, perhaps left a comment or two…

If your readers, keep coming back reading what you write, I am sure you are helping, even if it is in some small way.

At least that is how I feel and that is what is driving me to write and develop my blog.

Regards,

Dita

hace on 12 May, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Right now there are six posts from you in my email folder. A very quick look and I can come up with one concrete example, I used your post about confidence levels and margin of error in surveys just the other day in estimating a sample size that I will need for an upcoming survey. Thanks.

englem on 13 May, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I hope you read the article I cited…it is much more comprehensive than my post.
molly.

englem on 13 May, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I believe that if something has merit and worth, it is worth the effort.
molly.

englem on 13 May, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Dita, I don’t know if readers come back. I know that I get about 10 comments a day if I ask the question “is this blog making a difference?” Does it have merit, worth, value to you in your work? That is the question I want to know.
molly.

Kirk on 8 November, 2013 at 6:08 am #

I can confirm that the information that you share has:

1)made sense
2)made a difference
3)been worthwhile.

Keep it up, don’t stop!

Andrew at Granted on 4 April, 2014 at 9:13 am #

Every blog post makes a difference in some way, large or small, even if it only makes a difference in the life of the person who wrote it. If no one ends up reading a post, you still benefit from the experience of writing down your thoughts, similar to how you would in a diary. If others read your post, then they will be affected in a big or small way, depending on how relevant your message is to them. In short, you should definitely keep writing on your blog, as at the very least, it will benefit you to keep this up.

Michael G on 17 April, 2014 at 11:25 am #

I like looking at random blogs. I find how different people view life, politics, love, etc. It makes me think.

englem on 17 April, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

Michael I read a lot of different types of blogs (because I blog). I agree with you; it makes me think, gives me ideas, and provides me with a window on the world (limited though it may be).

Bob on 25 April, 2014 at 8:27 am #

Molly, I have written quite a bit about this topic and challenge that bloggers face and the bottom line is that you really can’t measure the value. Sure I think asking for responses like you did might help you see a bit of it, but the reality is 99.9% of people will never comment. As such, we as bloggers have to remember that each pageview is a real person who was on our site and who was impacted by what we wrote!

Sacramento Wordpress Dev on 25 April, 2014 at 8:43 am #

I think the best measure of the effectiveness of a blog are the number of shares it gets, as people that found something useful in it tend to want to share with others.

jaiserve on 27 May, 2014 at 5:22 am #

Informative blogs, though are very rare, are always well accepted by the readers. Though only fraction will leave a comment, but they definitely share with their friends. Thank you for posting this point.

Trip on 27 May, 2014 at 11:24 am #

In today’s world it’s virtually impossible to keep up with facebook, twitter, news, tv, movies email, texts, etc. Keep up your small voice. Some are listening.

Giuseppe Schettino on 12 August, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

First, Thank you for posting this point.
As an Italian marketer my job is often to explain about the importance of genuine content in a business blog.
The problem is all about people’s state of mind.
They think: “yes i start a blog, but how does it cost in time and money”?
They have some difficult to understand the power of a genuine information to their prospect.
So, in my opinion speaking with onesty is the right way to:

1)made sense
2)made a difference
3)been worthwhile.

i’m sorry for the bad english.

englem on 12 August, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

Sounds like this was more than just outreach; sound like you were engaged. Something I want to know about.
molly.

Post a Comment
Name:
Email:
Website:
Comments:
*