Jan
17

Is this blog making a difference (2)?

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Molly on 17-01-2013

I’m an evaluator.

I want to know if something makes a difference; if the change is for the better; if it has value, merit, worth.

After all, the root of evaluation is value.

I haven’t answered individually the numerous comments that have been posted.  I just continue to write and see what happens.  I’m hoping that some of what I’ve said over the past now over three years has 1) made sense; 2) made a difference; and 3) been worthwhile.  I also hope you reader have been able to use some of what you have read here.  I don’t know.

Someone is keeping track of my analytic measures; that’s wonderful.  Some blogs use that as a measure of making a difference; I don’t.  I look at what people say.  I read every comment even if I don’t respond.  A lot of folks say that the information has been interesting; that the blog is well written; that I should continue.  No one says how they use the material, or, for that matter, if they do.  So, reader, I have a challenge:

Post a comment about how you have used the information you have read here.  Post it next week when I won’t be blogging (see last week).  Let me know.  I’ll summarize the responses when I get back.  I won’t do this for very long–two, maybe three weeks; a month at most.  (When I posted previously a link to a quick on-line survey, I kept the survey open for only two weeks; not long enough for some folks.)

Other blog writers get comments not dissimilar to mine (I read a lot of blogs for ideas).  I don’t see that folks are actually giving the writer specific information on what difference the blog has made in the lives of the reader.  I must confess, I don’t let them know either.  So since this is a new year, and everyone is trying new behaviors, the new behavior I’m asking for here is Tell me what difference this blog has made/is making.

Be Sociable, Share!

78 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

suman on 6 December, 2015 at 9:11 am #

I am following your posts since March 2015 and noticing that every post contains an educative value. I have been benefited from your posts in many ways and suggested this site to my friends.There is no doubt that this an amazing platform.
Thanks

Jose Moreno on 8 December, 2015 at 1:54 pm #

All things make differences, how big the difference is another question. A specific example could be that people are on your site as opposed to anywhere else they could be, or anything else they could be doing. I personally told others about program evaluation and it is because I was able to read about it from this site. In doing that I am sure some of those Ive told have used some of the information as well causing a ripple of effects that have changed the course of reality forever. Hope that was a decent example of a difference being made. Oh and your thankfulness post helped remind me of my ability to evaluate while others do not take advantage of this gift. Thanks a lot. 😉

Perdjoeangan on 19 December, 2015 at 10:23 pm #

Hi Molly,
My answer is yes, your posts were made sense and a difference. If you think that your doing able to help others, keep going and do the best.
Keep going K3LH.com

Deris on 20 December, 2015 at 8:38 am #

I first read this blog, and it was quite interesting to review the article that you write. Now I’m looking for the source of the article that discusses the motivation or benefit of writing. I hope you can write a new idea about the motivation for the article was given as the source material of others. thanks

Lee Davis on 20 December, 2015 at 5:27 pm #

If people are responding to what you write or get meaningful value from what you write, then you’ve made a difference. What you want to avoid is giving a damn so hard that you end up burning yourself for that cause. “Pick your battles”, like Granny was always want to say (lol!).

Dre on 26 December, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

It’s interesting how careers cross paths, while I am not directly connected to the world of qualitative research, I have found myself trying to understand and integrate it into my daily workload more and more. I have also found myself wondering the question of “is anybody really listening” It’s a tough one, but at the end of the day. I do what I do for my own satisfaction, so I always have that to rely upon.

andvaris on 26 December, 2015 at 10:59 pm #

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site.
I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you in the future
as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me
to get my own, personal site now 😉

My webpage andvaris

Ammara on 28 December, 2015 at 7:27 am #

Being read and shared is a great tribute in itself. For me the dream appreciation would be when someone who has read the piece find something entertaining, connecting, inspiring, thrilling, puzzling, beautiful or humorous in it… I suppose in some way we writers are trying to connect with the reader. whichever way this connection is expressed is always a compliment!

I love this blog as it made me think what I would wish to receive… I never quite thought about it that way. Thanks Molly!

Molly on 7 March, 2016 at 2:16 pm #

Ammara,
Receiving is only half the equation; giving is the other half. I’m glad I could give to you and receive your comment!
molly.

Molly on 7 March, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

Is this one way to say, I think therefore I am? If so, I plan to keep thinking!
molly.

Molly on 7 March, 2016 at 2:19 pm #

Suman,
If I can impart to others what I have received (i.e., learned), then I am truly giving to them as well.
molly.

security360 on 11 March, 2016 at 3:01 am #

I actually wish to read meaningful blogposts from well written websites such as yours. I actually strongly assume that your question is some how! Even though, as a blogger, I actually correctly understand why you chose to find out question. I have always said this to my friends not all bloggers are writers! You are a writer and that is why you are considering knowing how subscribers have been able to employ the information they received here. Your articles are good. Your issues are good too. I use long gone through some of them so far. I need to concede, I have gained just one thing. No knowledge is a waste in any way. We learn new things everyday. I actually think I will have to gauge my contents too from my readers soonest. hey, I learnt that a person too! You have made me see another side of a true writer: to be considering how your readers are utilizing your contents. Of which is great. Thank you. Great contents once again. I have a blog too, kindly visit and i also will appreciate it. http://360-security.org

Bidhan on 11 March, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

Molly on 16 March, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

There must have been some connection: entertaining, connecting, inspiring, thrilling, puzzling, beautiful, or humorous…thank you for letting me know.
molly.

mark young on 21 March, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

Being a consultant and a blogger ourselves, we understand the frustration of getting the results from our hard written articles. The ugly truth is, it does not matter if it makes a difference. Somewhere down the road someone will see your post and may be it will be useful for him. People think of blogging as a 2 way channel. I personally being a team leader of more than 50 writers, think as a one way channel to transfer any information you have over the web.

Molly on 23 March, 2016 at 11:51 am #

Mark, See today’s entry for comment.
molly.

Jignesh kumar on 22 November, 2016 at 4:59 am #

I first visited this in this June and after that I am reguler visitor of this blog. Your every post has unique and valuable content so you need to continue this journy. BTW i am software developer in india being inspires by your posts.

Thaks
Jignesh

Belajar Metode Akuntansi Lengkap on 23 November, 2016 at 6:54 am #

Not only pixels on 24 November, 2016 at 9:16 pm #

Hi Molly, I recently started blogging on my website and I understand when you say that people don’t actually tell you how your pot helped them and, to be honest, I think I am one of those people. So I am going to change and start leaving comments about how the post helped me. What I just mentioned above, is exactly how this post helped me. Thanks Molly

Andronem on 26 November, 2016 at 4:38 pm #

Bianca Cosuri on 27 November, 2016 at 2:14 am #

I am trying to find blogs and websites with useful information and well written article. Your articles about motivation are great with deep insight. Also the interaction with readers is very important. We will wait for the new blogpost. Thank you.

12khz on 28 November, 2016 at 5:11 am #

It’s tough to tell if a blog is truly making a difference to anyone, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t. There could be plenty of readers that simply aren’t responding.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

I know there are a lot of readers who are not responding to my blog posts. The target audience is those individuals interested in evaluation. Not a lot of folks (although growing). That you took the time to respond is encouraging and I thank you. As an evaluator, I want to know what difference my program (in this case the blog) is making. That is what evaluation is–making a difference in the lives of individuals who participate in the program.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

Bianca, There are a lot of blog posts which provide the reader with useful information. As an evaluator, I want to know that I am making a difference in the lives of the participant (readers) of my program (blog). I will keep writing. Thanks for your encouragement.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:20 pm #

Because the target audience is those individuals who are interested in or involved in evaluation, I want to know if the blog (my program) is worth while. Although I have said that blogging is a two-way experience (and said as much), I think you are correct when you indicate that it is a one-way experience (to impart information). That is sad and unfortunate, even if true. As an evaluator, I want to know if I made a difference to the participants (readers) in my program (the blog). That you chose to comment is that which I was looking.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

It is very difficult to have participant (readers) respond with the difference my blog has made in their lives. As an evaluator, I wonder about that a lot. I hope that you find that the writing, the content, or the topics useful in the work you do. Thank you for commenting.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

Connection is so important. That you connected with a comment means a lot to me. Hopefully the content, the topic, and/or the writing has meant something to you. If that is the case, then I have made a difference.

Molly on 28 November, 2016 at 2:32 pm #

Knowing that the blog has inspired you, Jignesh, is important. By knowing that, I can see that the blog (my program) is making a difference. Thank you for the comment.

Post a Comment
Name:
Email:
Website:
Comments:
*