Monthly Archives: June 2009

Take a trip!

Join us for our travels through Oregon and beyond! The new collection “Take a Trip: Traveling and touring with the Visual Instruction Lantern Slides Collection” launched today with images of the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition in Portland straight from the Visual Instruction Lantern Slides Collection (P217).

The 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition was a true wonder! Though most of the buildings, monuments, or fancy facades you see in this set no longer exist, these slides give us a glimpse into a trip we could have taken… If only we were here 100 years ago!Want to see more? Check out the Flickr Commons set.

New Hours for Summer

Our hours are changing, please take note!

Starting June 15th, the OSU Archives Reference Desk will be open from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Our normal hours resume Monday, September 28th — the first day of fall term.

New Exhibit in the Archives Reference Room: Class Gifts

56.jpgEver wonder why there is a huge sculpture of Benny the Beaver in the MU Commons? It was a class gifts from the Class of 1966 — one of many class gifts given over the years! Trysting tree memorial, Lady of the Fountain, The Runner — all gifts …

Check out the new display in the Archives Reference room to see how past classes have given back to OSU and are giving back today.

New Flickr set celebrating the history of commencement at OSU

3555284058_abd1a5cf52.jpgIt’s a magical time of year… The flowers are blooming, families are beaming, graduates are throwing their caps — and it’s time for a new Flickr set!

The first commencement took place at OSU in 1870, though the class was a bit smaller than you would expect today. Robert Veatch gave the valedictory address, “Utility of Science,” at the June 30 commencement ceremony and Alice Biddle, who was only 16 years of age when she received her degree, read a paper called “Progress of Mind.”

The location has changed, from the College Chapel in the Administration Building (now Benton Hall) to the College Armory (now the Gymnastics Training Center) to the Men’s Gymnasium (Langton Hall) — before finally settling in Gill Coliseum for the first time in 1950. Ceremonies were held in Gill until 2001, when the first outdoor commencement ceremony in Reser Stadium on June 17.

Fun Facts:

  • 1950: Families were requested not to bring babies or small children to baccalaureate services or commencement exercises. Childcare was provided in the Orchard Street Nursery School for a charge of 50 cents per day.
  • 1970: Controversy erupted in 1970, when the university implemented a Faculty Senate requirement for seniors to take finals. This meant that commencement was moved back to the Sunday after finals week and that blank diplomas were given during the ceremony. A boycott of commencement was called by the student body. Ultimately the administration rescinded the policy.
  • Eremurus flowers, grown especially for OSU commencement by the A.J. Stone Family of Amity, Oregon, decorated the Coliseum (and previously the Men’s Gymnasium) from 1948 through 1991. The flowers are commonly called Desert Candle or Fox-tail Lily.

To learn more, visit the History of Commencement page.

Watch for it Wednesdays: Camp Arboretum!


The rumors are true, it’s a brand new Flickr Commons collection with its first set: CCC at Camp Arboretum

Intended to become a “locus of the Schools educational and social activities,” Peavy Arboretum was dedicated by the university in 1926 in honor of Dean George W. Peavy, long-time dean of the School (now College) of Forestry. Peavy pushed for “an outdoor laboratory in which experiments with various tree species and silvicultural practices could be conducted and a ‘botanical garden’ of trees.” It operated as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp from 1933 – 1942 and then reverted to College of Forestry management in 1964.

When the CCC established Camp Arboretum on the site in 1933, crews built roads, planted trees, constructed firebreaks, strung telephone lines, and established trails (including the Section 36 Trail, which is still used by visitors). They also expanded the nursery and constructed Cronemiller Lake to provide water for irrigation. Because their role in western Oregon was fire prevention work and reforestation, the CCC contribution to McDonald Forest and the Arboretum directly affected the development of the landscape and the forest we see today.

At its height, the camp consisted of 39 permanent buildings in the Arboretum, including the Camp Arboretum Sign Shop, which is now on the National Register of Historic Places. Reflecting many distinctive architectural features characteristic of CCC buildings, the Sign Shop was constructed by the CCC in 1936. Although it was one of the last buildings constructed at Camp Arboretum, “the board-and-batten sided Sign Shop is the only existing building from the Camp in its original location, and is one of only a few remaining in the state.

New Finding Aids for May!

The following 8 finding aids for OSU Archives collections were completed in May 2009. They have been loaded to the NWDA finding aids database and have a PDF on the OSU Archives’ website. MARC records for all of the collection s are available through the OSU Libraries’ Catalog, Summit Navigator, and Worldcat. Five of these are collections received in 2008; two are collections for which there was previously no information available online. The OSU Archives now has 401 finding aids in NWDA.

Blue Key Fraternity Records, 1934-2003

Cordley, A.B., Entomological and Horticultural Scrapbook, 1896-1899

Japanese-American Association of Lane County, Oregon, Oral History Collection, 1994-2008 (OH 15)

Koester, Ardis W., Papers, 1962-1996

Kramer, Leo George and Ruth Ann, Papers, 1951-1982

Oregon Sea Grant Communications Moving Images, 1939-2007 (FV P 185)

Pharmacy, College of, Records, 1899-2006 (RG 105)

Walters, Jayne, Scrapbook, 1934-1940