IPIP Results & Reactions

Extraversion- I scored very low in extraversion with a 2. This is not surprising considering I am very introverted, but my job requires me to exhibit extraverted qualities. Agreeableness- I scored very high in this category with a 99, which aligns with my mindset of always keeping the peace, and serving others. Conscientiousness- My score was average in this category at 62. One facet that really brought this down was Self- Discipline. This makes sense because I am often either too compulsive or over contemplate to the point of indecision. Neuroticism- My score was also average in this category at 63. One facet with a high score for me was Self-Consciousness. This correlates with my need to be a people pleaser and eliminate any potential conflicts. I like to think of myself as very level headed and able to deal with difficult situations and work through complicated problems, but I also suffer from social anxiety that I have worked on overcoming. Openness to Experience- For this category, it says my score was average but seems low at 37. I do believe that I am open to experience to an extent, but also enjoy a good routine.

This was my first time taking the IPIP personality assessment, but I have taken other personality assessments in the past including the Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, 16 Personality Factor, and DiSC assessment. I typically score very similarly on all these tests, and the IPIP was no different. Based off this assessment, a potential employer would probably say that my biggest weakness is my lack of extraversion which included low friendliness, activity level, and cheerfulness. I do not believe this portrays an accurate picture of me because even though I am an introvert by nature, that does not mean that I am unable to portray extraverted qualities and I actually tend to be a very friendly and cheerful individual. My biggest strengths would be my ability to work well with others, my flexibility, my easy going nature and willingness to learn and adapt. Since this assessment is based on the Five Factor Model which is very broad, I do not think it accurately narrows in on the personality traits that employers should be looking for when recruiting or hiring.

2 responses to “IPIP Results & Reactions”

1. John Edwards Avatar
    John Edwards

Hi Taylor,

I agree with your statement about the categories being very broad and how the end result can place the candidate in an unfair light. I especially like how you explain that introverts can display extroverted tendencies when placed in a situation that requires it. It is something I feel I do when I must, and it is something our professor alluded to doing himself in our lectures as well. I do not necessarily think that scoring on the introversion side is a bad thing, but I firmly believe that it depends on the position you would be applying for when thinking about whether or not an employer would be considering the score from this part of the test. Your ability to work well with others is a great strength to have. I have mentioned in other posts that being part of a team in the current work environment is unavoidable. As such, Agreeableness should be something that we all strive to have to some degree as working professionals. Based on what I have read, Openness to Experience has been the most surprising factor in test scores, including mine. I am starting to wonder if everyone has a preconceived notion of what this means, and it comes as a surprise when the test results challenge this and place each individual into a category outside of that perception.

Thanks,

John

2. Yifei Lin Avatar
    Yifei Lin

Hi Taylor,
    Thank you for providing more detailed information about your IPIP-NEO test results and sharing your thoughts on how they align or differ from your self-perceptions. Let me delve into the implications for potential employers and your perception of the assessment. Your low score on extroversion reflects your introverted nature, which is not surprising to you. However, you mentioned that your job requires you to exhibit extroverted qualities, which can present challenges. It is important to note that being introverted does not mean that you cannot exhibit extroverted qualities when necessary. Many introverts excel in social situations, displaying friendliness and actively communicating. Communicating with potential employers is critical, and although you may favor introversion, you are able to adapt to different situations and interact effectively with others. Scoring high on agreeableness is consistent with your mindset of maintaining harmony and being of service to others. This trait is valuable for fostering positive relationships, teamwork and collaboration in the workplace. Employers tend to appreciate people who prioritize cooperation and can contribute to a positive and supportive work environment. You scored an average of 62 on due diligence and lower on self-discipline. It is important to recognize that no one is perfect and that everyone has strengths and areas for improvement. Being aware of your tendency to be impulsive or overthink can help you manage these areas effectively. Employers typically value individuals who demonstrate due diligence because it shows reliability, organization and a strong work ethic. Regarding openness to experience, your average score of 37 indicates a preference for routine and familiar surroundings. However, you also mentioned being open to new experiences to some degree. The ability to communicate your acceptance of change and adaptability when necessary is critical, even if you generally prefer structured routines. You mentioned that you have taken other personality assessments in the past and have consistently scored similarly on these assessments. It is important to note that no single assessment can capture the entirety of an individual’s personality. Different assessments focus on different aspects and may provide complementary insights. the five-factor model on which the IPIP-NEO is based provides a broad framework for understanding personality traits, but may not capture the nuances of specific traits or skills associated with a particular job role. When it comes to potential employers, they may perceive your lack of extroversion as a weakness, especially in areas such as friendliness, activity level, or cheerfulness. However, it is important to emphasize that introversion is not the same as a lack of these qualities. Emphasizing your ability to adapt and demonstrate extroverted qualities when needed can help address this potential issue.
    Best,
    Yifei Lin