Blueprint Experimentation!

This week we presented our version 0,02 build of our Unreal Engine 4 Tower Defense / Shooter game. It was really the first build that included any sort of actual work on the game and it really helped me to review the Unreal Engine Blueprints system. If you haven’t heard of it, UE4 has a visual type of coding called Blueprints along side the standard C++. Blueprints consist of function blocks that you are able to connect together with specialized wires. The program starts and follows the execution wire along block by block until it reaches the end. This type of visual coding is extremely useful for creating things in Unreal and it is often much easier to use than to do all the normal coding your self. This system is also really useful for creating a bunch of the same object because you are able to tie the blueprints to specific parts of the object you are creating. This allows you to swap out any part in order to create something slightly different without breaking the functionality.

For my contribution to v0.02, I built a working turret as a representation of the first tower in our game. The turret is able to track the player and detect if there is an obstruction in its line of sight. If the player is in line of sight and within range, the turret will fire projectiles at a preset pace. This will be a really useful base for the rest of the game, as we will be able to create more towers by simply swapping out certain parts of the blueprints. I look forward to the rest of the project in order to see what other unique things we will be able to create using the blueprint system. 🙂

Beginning of the Unreal

This week, our project of “Design a Top-Down Shooter/Tower-Defense in Unreal Engine 4” really got off the ground. We were able to put down the last details needed in order to actually begin development in Unreal Engine 4. I have previous experience using UE4 but going back to it has been really fun and I’ve been able to learn even more than I already knew. The second version of our project (v0.02) is due next Monday and it will feature the first little bits of our game. The first version was simply setting up the development environment and making sure the whole team was on the same page. This new version will likely just be little bits of ideas we have for the future but its a start! I am looking forward to what we are able to create. (Especially since I was able to survive the midterms :P)

Dying of Midterms

Nothing much has happened this week in terms of the Capstone project besides more blender experimentation, so I figured I would make this the first blog post about my other classes. I am also taking CS372 Intro to Networks this term, and I am having some real trouble with it. This week the second assignment Traceroute was due and I unfortunately was just unable to figure it out. It really feels bad when you have to just give up on a project because you cant figure it out and run out of time. You never really get any solution either because the teacher isn’t going to just post the working code or spend the time to tell you the issues with yours. Outside of that assignment, I have another assignment, a quiz, and the midterm all for Networking as well due this week…… its not a terribly fun class at the moment. Anyway, working on things for the Capstone class is a welcome reprieve from that. Hope things get a little more relaxed after the midterms!