Writing Exercise #8

This writing exercise is designed to help you begin to think about a topic you are interested in pursuing for your final essay project in the course. 

Step 1: Free write: What are some of the most interesting or surprising things you’ve learned and/or want to learn more about, in regards to microbes and human health? Set a timer for 5 minutes and type out your response. Please don’t edit or worry about correct grammar/spelling/sentence structure… just write!

I have never thought so much about how our actions and food decisions affect our overall health. The gut really is the second brain. The research we’ve read and uncovered shows so many ways that the balance in our guts affects so many other systems and processes in our body. We need to have a balance in our body so that other processes can work efficiently. The brain depends on activity functioning normally. It’s really a complex process, mores than I ever imagined.

Complex Process –

We’ve learned that there is a lot of communication between the gut environment based on the balance there is inside our guts. If the gut balance is off, other processes won’t be triggered or vice versa, meaning some processes will be overly triggered. I think the response to this situation is when we have gastrointestinal symptoms like heartburn and diarrhea. Some people’s body’s just can’t process or tolerate certain foods and we should learn to be conscious of the signals our body is telling us how to help be healthy.

In the vein of the gut as our second brain, a lot of people have connect mental health aspects to the flora and fauna of our gut environment. In my final paper, I want to dive further into whether or not or how they are connected. My sister is a nurse and her thoughts on this topic are that she’s worked in nursing homes and people with memory loss have “behaviors” when their stomach has issues or some of those symptoms like a UTI or diarrhea. That makes me think there is some connection.