Category Archives: Best of Archives

Extension Service Photograph Collection

Take some time to check our new collection guide for the Extension Service Photograph Collection!

These pictures document Extension programs, activities, and staff throughout Oregon. The bulk of this collection relates to the three traditional Extension programmatic areas (agriculture, home economics, and 4-H) and the photographs show Extension Service programs and staff from all regions of Oregon (with Benton, Clatsop, Klamath, and Lane Counties strongly represented).

Of particular note are images of Braceros and other migrant agricultural laborers; County extension offices (exterior and interior views) and staff; the Dairy Demonstration Train; 4-H club activities and summer school; and soil conservation and dune stabilization. Many individuals farms and ranches are identified; numerous images of the Oliver Ranch in Grant County are part of the collection.

Photographers are not identified for most of the images (though we do know that they were primarily taken by Extension Service staff), but notable photographers and studios of note include the Columbia Commercial Studio (Portland), Asahel Curtis (Seattle), Benjamin A. Gifford, Arthur M. Prentiss, and the Weister Company.

The collection includes a variety of formats, with the bulk collection consisting of black & white prints. You’ll also find a selection of color prints, film negatives, nitrate negatives, color slides, digital prints, and panoramic prints.

Images from the collection are available online in the Best of the Archives and Braceros in Oregon digital collections.

Two new archival items now available in ScholarsArchive!

Eyes to the Future is a 1949 publication of addresses given at the 75th anniversary of OSU in 1943.

The Golden Jubilee basketball program is a souvenir basketball program celebrating the 50th anniversary of the men’s basketball at Oregon State in 1951. It includes information about the “new” Coliseum and the history of Oregon State basketball. The cover of this program will be scanned and added to Best of the Archives.

Bowl Dreams: Go Beavs!

1953-program-948Though very little muck and mud ends up in our stacks, we do have a great assortment of football photos! While many, many photographs are still in print form, we have just over 200 that have been scanned and added to our Best of the Archives digital collection. And now there is another way to access these: we’ve created 3 new sets on our Flickr site.

Remember, the beauty of Flickr is that you can tag the images, comment on the images, and share the images — so get to work!

New Exhibit in the Archives

home-management-house.jpgPlease visit the Archives Reference room on the 3rd floor of the Valley Library to see the new exhibit featuring the “home management babies.”

It is estimated that 50 children served as “practice babies” for the roughly 1,500 students enrolled in the six-week mandatory Household Administration Program of the College of Home Economics from 1926 to 1947. The OSU Archives has collections of photographic prints and records relating to the Kent and Withycombe Home Management Houses, which were operated as the practice homes for the Household Administration Program.

OSU’s program was part of a larger movement in the field of Home Economics. It was thought that by establishing these “practical home laboratories” for young women, the universities could give the students a “chance to practice at homemaking before she tries it on her own with a husband” (Oregon Sunday Journal, Jan. 25, 1949).

In 1919, the University of Minnesota started a pilot program in the Home Economics Department that introduced “real life” child care into the home laboratory. The program quickly spread to twenty other universities across America; within a few years, places like OSU, Cornell, Drexel, Iowa State, Tennessee, the Carnegie Institute, New York State Teachers College, and others followed the University of Minnesota’s lead and established their own programs. These schools set up dozens of home management cottages, houses, and apartments; hundreds of babies became teaching tools.

As part of this effort to teach female students about child care, babies were taken from orphanages or single mothers and moved to the home management house. The children usually remained at the house until they were two; at that time, they would be returned to the orphanage, adopted, or, in rare cases, given back to their biological mothers. In most programs, the girls would act as the child’s caregiver for a week; when their week was finished, responsibility for the care of the child would shift to the next student in line.

Franklin Elementary School

Franklin Elementary.jpgWelcome Adams Elementary students!

“Schoolhouses were among the first buildings erected once the settlers took care of the more pressing needs of food and shelter. The rural school site, which was often one acre, contained the schoolhouse, a wood shed, two outhouses, perhaps a horse shed, and sometimes play equipment. The schoolhouse was usually a rectangular, front-gabled building with one room. The outsides of schoolhouses ranged from crude, unpainted board, to exteriors finished with painted trim elements. Many of the first schools were of log construction, like the schoolhouse erected in 1848 on what is currently the northeast corner of Second and Jackson in Corvallis and the Gingles Schoolhouse, located in the North Albany area.”

“Most students walked, while some rode horses to the district schoolhouse– often a mile or more away but rarely more than five miles from home. Many schools were closed in the worst winter months because of deep mud and heavy rains. In the summer, farm work closed the schools, leaving several months in the fall and spring for classes.”

“Schoolhouses were also the social hubs of communities, because the schools sponsored many community events. Popular amusements included box socials, pie socials, and ice cream socials. Christmas, May Day, and graduation were among the most important days for school celebrations.”

From A Pictorial History of Benton County, found on the Archives Reference shelf on the 3rd floor of The Valley Library.

Mathematical Awareness Month

In the tradition of a true mathematician, we celebrate Mathematical Awareness Month at the very last moment possible!
Joseph EmeryWhereas the words “Mathematical Awareness Month” might bring feelings of anxiety to most, here in the Archives it brings us great pride when we remember one of our university’s great math professors, Joseph Emery.

One out of seven children, Emery was born in Pennsylvania on June 2, 1833 along with his twin sister Mary Emery. He began showing his mathematical uniqueness early, since we all know the probability of being born a twin isn’t very high!

In 1867, a year after his brother-in-law, William A. Finley, became president of the school, Emery joined the faculty teaching mathematics, physics, geology, and physiology. Emery was also involved in administrative affairs with his efforts in raising the money used to purchase the Roberts farm that made up the original school campus.

During his time here Emery was known as an enthusiastic teacher who took a lot of pride in his department and his work. Emery often used hands-on methods of teaching to involve his students in their studies. In 1869 the first mechanical and chemical apparatus was purchased for the school. Emery used it to perform demonstrations, such as sending a shock through the whole student body when they joined hands in a long chain that stretched down one stairwell, outside, and back up the other stairwell. Among his many students during his years here were J.K. Weatherford, William E. Yates, and Ida Burnett Callahan.

In 1871, after the resignation of Finley, Emery was offered the position of president, which he declined. He did however agree to serve as acting president during the summer of 1871, until incoming President Arnold could arrive in September. During this time Emery wrote the biennial report of the college. Included in this report was not only a request for an increase of $10, 000 in the college appropriations, but also an appeal that the legislature “open the doors of the Oregon Agricultural College to the young ladies of Oregon”; at that time the law, if interpreted as written, the law recognized the college as accessible only to male students. Approval was given to both requests — making Emery’s role even more significant. By any calculation, Emery definitely made his mark on university history!

A photo of the 1883 faculty is available.

The Fernhopper’s Ball for Forest Week

Fernhopper's BallA Paul Bunyon sign advertises the Forester’s Ball, or Fernhopper’s Ball, in the 1960s. The banquets, which started in 1928, brought together past graduates of the School of Forestry.

Yes, there is still a Fernhopper Day.

The College of Forestry commemorated its 100th year in 2007, which makes this the 75th year of the Fernhopper! On May 12th, the College will host the 75th Annual Fernhopper, where they will award scholarships and fellowships to students, thank donors, and visit with friends and former classmates.

Have a Laugh on International Moment of Laughter Day

Dumb Duck.jpgIn 1954, this University of Oregon student was photographed wearing the sign “I’m a dumb duck beat Oregon” during the Civil War. Random and funny …

Due to some further investigating by my trusty student assistant, who was utterly dissatisfied by my cursory explanation of this photo, we now know a little more about why this poor young man is wearing such a sign. Apparently, it was all part of the pre-game shenanigans. The civil war rivalry flared during the week before the big game, when Beavers captured Ducks and made them wear these silly signs. They also painted their faces, presumably Beaver orange when they attempted to crash the Rook bonfire festivities!

Appreciate Jazz Month with the Band on 2nd Street

Band on Second St.jpgI don’t know if they will be available to play your next event, but this band from the late 19th century is concert-ready in this photograph. On back of the photograph shown above, we found this handwritten note:

“Hunt’s Brewery, north on 2nd street at the corner where the U.S. Post Office now stands. The Blacksmith … next on the right was Manual … restaurant, the small white building at left stood where Montgomery Wards Building now stands. Opposite the Brewery stood Corvallis first grocery store, where the Huston Building (now being remodeled) has stood for many years.”

They last played at the dedication of Corvallis Brewery building in 1887.

For National Licorice Day, OAC Salutes the Sweet Stuff!

women cooking.jpg

Although OSU is not known for its licorice production, in honor of National Licorice Day, we’d like to point you to some theses written by Oregon Agricultural College students in the Domestic Science program– all studies on the sweet side.

From 1910, by Bertha Herse and Grace Elizabeth Connell’s Candies and candy making. Cleva Peery wrote her 1909 thesis on Desserts, while Sadie Bell chose to focus on Cereal breakfast foods.

And finally, while not a thesis, don’t miss “Dame Curtsey’s” book of candy making, by Ellye Howell Glover. Also look for the 1938 The romance of candy, by Alma H. Austin and the 1958 All about candy and chocolate: a comprehensive study of the candy and chocolate industries, by Philip P. Gott and L. F. Van Houten.