Happy Week 5, Beavs!
We hope your Spring term is going well. With lots of midterm assignments, papers and tests coming up, be sure to prioritize your health, as well as your academics in the coming weeks.
Important Deadlines and Dates
- Withdraw from individual courses (No Refunds Available): May 13th, more details at https://registrar.oregonstate.edu/withdraw
- Change grading basis (A-F vs. S/U): May 13th, step by step directions at https://registrar.oregonstate.edu/change-grading-basis
- Fall 2022 Registration Begins: May 15th
- Apply for Graduation (Undergraduate Students Only): May 29th
- Complete Withdraw from Term: Jun 3rd, for more information click here https://registrar.oregonstate.edu/withdraw
- Finals Week Jun 6 – Jun 10th
Paid Job and Internship Opportunities
SafeRide Leadership 2021-2022
ASOSU’s SafeRide program is searching for OSU students to join their team as drivers! Please see the OSU posting here https://asosu.oregonstate.edu/saferide/about
Elakha Alliance Paid Tribal Youth Summer Internships
Elakha Alliance has many paid summer internship positions available for Oregon college students who identify as Indigenous. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact. For additional information, please contact Chanel Hason (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Spanish Speaking Interpreters for Medical Field
Community Outreach INC is seeking interpreters interested in the medical field. students will be able to volunteer at the East Linn Community Clinic and Farm Clinic serving patients in rural communities. If interest please contact Grace Scuderi at 541-758-3000 ext. 115 or email at Gscuderi@communityoutreachinc.org
Submit a Plan for PIN for Fall 2022!
The PHHS advising office is offering “Plans for PINs” again this term. If you’d prefer not to meet with your advisor, create your own Fall term plan in MyDegrees and submit it for review. Instructions for submitting a plan can be found at https://health.oregonstate.edu/advising/resources/mydegrees-planner
OR Set Up an Advising Appointment to discuss Fall 2022
In-person and ZOOM based sessions are available in blocks of 25 or 50 minutes. The best time to schedule an academic advising appointment depends a bit on your class standing, so schedule accordingly. Sign up at https://health.oregonstate.edu/advising/appointment
Senior standing: ASAP
Junior standing: Weeks 3-6
Sophomore standing: Weeks 4-7
Freshman standing: Weeks 5-8
Graduating seniors do not need to meet with me or submit a plan.
Upcoming Campus Events
Meet with a Peace Corps recruiter and alumni to learn how your degree can have a global impact through Peace Corps. If you are searching for a meaningful career and interested in international work, join us from Noon- 1pm on Thursday, May 5th at the Hallie Ford Center room 115 on the Corvallis campus, or via Zoom.
Learn About Undergraduate Research at OSU
Find out more about the research that is being done at Oregon State University with the help of OSU students! Ask questions about the research process and hear from students who are currently participating in research about the topics they are working on. Walk-ins are welcome, but registration is recommended. Click here for more information: https://events.oregonstate.edu/event/learn_about_undergraduate_research_at_osu#.YmnYay-B1QJ
Teachers of Color Panel and Q&A planned by one of our College of Education Ambassadors
Four teachers of color from local schools will give their perspectives on microaggressions, support networks, mentoring, and other issues many teachers of color face. The event will be held via Zoom on Tuesday, May 3 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. (more details included below or on the OSU event page). To receive the link to the event, register via Zoom at https://oregonstate.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUuf-igqzIqGd1wdKdoRKb0XxncqGpz5QeU
Pet Day at OSU
Pet Day is a free event that is available to the general public. A few activities, such as the Fun Run and Dog Wash, have minimal fees associated with them (cash only). At the west end of Reser Stadium, there is free parking. Join the fun on Saturday, May 7 at 10:30am to 3:30pm, to learn more check out: https://events.oregonstate.edu/event/pet_day_1018#.YmnCai-B1QJ
OSU HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL WEEK 2022
Since 1987, OSU has honored Holocaust Memorial Week. The effort’s scope and longevity are unrivaled in the Pacific Northwest. This program is based on the premise that raising awareness of the Holocaust, probably the most awful historical signal of prejudice’s high cost, can help educational institutions resist prejudice of all types and build respect for America’s diversity. To learn more click here! https://holocaust.oregonstate.edu/#eventstart
Career Development events for CPHHS majors
Noon-1 p.m. PDT Tuesday, May 3 | Spring COS and CPHHS Job Search Intensive Workshop: Resume, Cover letter & Interview – part 2 of 2 (virtual). This one-hour intensive workshop will give you a high-level overview or resume & cover letter writing, as well as preparing for interviews.
Noon-1 p.m. PDT Wednesday, May 4 | Spring Peace Corps Info Session. (Hallie Ford Center Room 115 and via Zoom). Meet with a Peace Corps recruiter and alumni to learn how your degree can have a global impact through Peace Corps. If you are searching for a meaningful career and interested in international work, join us at Hallie Ford Center room 115 on the Corvallis campus, or via Zoom.
Noon-1 p.m. PDT Tuesday, May 10 | Getting a Dam Job: Prepare for the Academic Job Search & Postdocs (virtual). Thinking about the professor route or an alternative academic path (advising, student services, faculty research assistant, etc.)? Looking into how to find and be successful at getting a postdoc? Let’s talk about how to optimize your academic job search.
Public Health Career Connections Panel – Interested in connecting directly with public health professionals from across Oregon? Join us on Friday May 13 from 3-4:30pm for the virtual “Public Health Career Connections Event”. Please RSVP here.
Representatives from the below organizations will each briefly share about their role, followed by break-out rooms where you can visit with public health professionals, inquire further about the organization and what it’s like to work in public health, gain career tips, and learn about potential opportunities with the organization. This is your chance to connect directly with public health professionals! We hope you will join.
- Benton County Health Department
- Crook County Health Department
- Marion County Health & Human Services
- Marquis Companies Senior Living
- Oregon Health Authority: Health Systems Division
- Oregon Health Authority: Public Health Division
- Rede Group Consulting
- Samaritan Health Services: Administrative Fellowship Program
- Unity Shelter
Ongoing Service Projects
Learn more about all of these at https://cel.oregonstate.edu/
Benton Habitat for Humanity
- Projects vary from home builds, home repairs, or serving at ReStore – no experience required! Have a fun and rewarding time volunteering at Habitat, while learning about and supporting housing equity and access to safe and affordable housing for all families. Fridays 12:00pm to 3:00pm
Corvallis Parks & Rec
- Visit an array of parks, trail and urban forests within the Corvallis city limits while volunteering to enhance them and keep them beautiful. Project activities will vary based on the location each week, but may include activities like spreading rock, maintaining trails, pruning trees, weeding, route marking, path surfacing, etc. Thursdays 11:00am to 1:00pm
Heartland Humane Society
- Activities will vary each week in response to pandemic safety and weather, but will always include playtime with dogs as a way to thank you for your work and to help the dogs socialize. Most often, you’ll be helping maintain a clean and safe outdoor environment for dog activities, so please dress for the weather.Tuesdays 10:00am to 12:30pm
Starker Arts Garden for Education (SAGE)
- Help grow fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables that will be donated to families in our community who cannot afford them – SAGE provide thousands of pounds every year to hungry people. Tasks may include one or more of the following: vegetable harvest / wash / pack, transplanting vegetables, weeding, bed preparation, mulching, pruning, greenhouse construction, winterization, etc. Tuesdays 3:00pm to 5:15pm
Unity Shelter – Room at the Inn
- Be a part of providing safe emergency housing and healthy meals for women experiencing houselessness. Learn about housing equity and Unity Shelter’s case management services aimed to secure and retain permanent housing. The OSU Community (students, staff, and faculty) are the intended audience for this event. Depending on the needs at Room at the Inn, volunteers will be working in the kitchen with meal prep or in the main room greeting and working with guests. Mondays 4:30pm to 6:45pm
New Mental Health Program on Campus
Mental Health Now is a free, interactive forum where students can drop in to build community, explore coping strategies, and raise topics relevant to them. Students meet for 50 minutes on Friday at noon in LINC 268 starting April 22nd through June 3rd (Weeks 4-10). More information at https://www.sparrowcounselingpnw.com/education-and-career
New Club at OSU!
What are you willing to do to make OSU SAFER? SAFER is a club dedicated to ending rape culture at OSU through:
- Bi-weekly events (every two weeks) about healing from trauma, healthy relationships, consent, and more with mental health and sexual assault prevention professionals.
- Workshops with SARC, SHS, CAPS, and other mental health professionals to revolutionize OSU’s survivor support.
- Fundraising for anti-roofie protection products, free self-defense workshops, and self-protection products.
Please email Brianna Corbett, President of OSU SAFER with any questions regarding this new club.
Friendship in the time of COVID- PhD student needs your insight
Female identifying students, please consider lending your voice and experience to a Public Health PhD student studying the impact that friendship has on body image. The survey is built do take 10-15 minutes and you will be entered to win a $20 VISA gift card. Survey is here.
Office of Student Success
College of Public Health and Human Sciences
Women’s Building 105