The St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Parish Records have been processed! Over the course of the 2 1/2 month internship, the collection that was originally an assortment of records in several large bins, is now arranged and described (to see the ‘before” pictures, check out the very first blog post from a few months ago).
The St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Parish collection spans from the years 1941-2012. It consists primarily of administrative records of the Vestry, Bishop’s Advisory Committee, and the Annual Meeting, as well as correspondence, publications, newspaper clippings, and audiovisual material. Other materials focus on church organizations and activities such as Episcopalian Church Women, The Richard Moffat Memorial Concert, and a refugee family from Ethiopia. The collection also includes documents pertaining to Father Lee Owen Stone. The audiovisual material is a mix of photographs and film.
The records are organized into 10 series:
Administrative Records (1971-2008)
Organizations and Activities (1975-2009)
Father Lee Owen Stone (1955-1983) inclusive (1972-1983) bulk
History, 1916-1989 (1989)
General Correspondence (1979-2011)
Refugee Family (1983-1984)
Audiovisual (1941-2007) inclusive (1960-2007) bulk
Church Ledgers (1954-1999)
The agreement between St. Philips and the OMA is to return the physical collection to the church, however, we hope to digitize the collection materials in order to make the records accessible to the public. This process will take several months, but rest assured we will be sure to post about it!
Pingback: Black History Month Display | Hannah Mahoney