MB 311 Writing Exercise #6

The command line experience was my first exposure to coding on any type of computer. Needless to say, it was really frustrating at first because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I didn’t really understand what was going on. (Thank god I’m not a CS major) Once I kind of (with a grain of salt) got the hang of it, I was able to navigate my way around directories, know where I was at, and had a general sense of guidance. If I’m being honest here, none of it was intuitive for me. That was the most frustrating part. I’m used to being able to pick up at least a general synopsis of what’s going on, but with the command line I just wasn’t able to do that. I was also kind of frustrated because out of the group I was in, I was the one who was always lagging.

Besides that, the hardest part for me was picking up the reasoning of things. Like what command does what, what to do if you have an issue, and where to look for those issues. At multiple times I felt stuck and didn’t really know what to do, so I had to ask for the instructor’s help a lot. Most of the time, it was just a simple error I didn’t notice. So, I guess I was able to get through the general flow of things, in a sense.

To be honest, it still doesn’t really make sense to me. I found myself just following along and trying to get things done most of the time, and I felt like it took my interest of knowing what was happening out of it. When you’re so frustrated about not making any progress in the first place, it’s pretty hard to take the time to try to understand the concept of things. Yes, this sounds incredibly impatient and rash, but I just didn’t get why we were doing it in the first place.

BUT when I read about fastq files and NCBI related topics on scientific papers now, I know what they’re talking about. I know this seems kind of obvious, but I feel like if this was in person I’d understand everything so much more.

If only we saw what was coming.