Compensation as a motivating factor

During my junior year of high school, I was looking for a job when my ASB advisor offered me a position at her husband’s veterinary clinic. When I first started, I would do kennels and occasionally help out the receptionist. Soon, I would become the business manager’s assistant and help her keep the books and paperwork organized. I continued to work at this clinic for roughly three years and became close to the clinic owners. During my freshman year of college, the owners asked me if I could come back the next summer and work for them. However, I had already accepted an internship position at a Resort in Bend.

I wanted to get more experience in other industries to see what I wanted to do post-graduation. The problem was the internship was a minimum wage position, where most of the money would end up going to gas. I lived at home and would have to drive an hour to the resort and an hour back. If I kept the internship position alone, I wouldn’t have saved enough money for the following school year. I decided to go back to the veterinary clinic and keep my internship position. As a result, I worked approximately 60+ hours a week. I believe money factored into this tremendously. If it weren’t for the second job, I wouldn’t have been able to pay for college the following term.