Starting a New Chapter at West

One would assume I was anxious moving away from home to live in a residence hall. Although I was a tad anxious, my excitement triumphed. I was eager to have a fresh start and meet new people. During START orientation in the summer, I took a tour of the Honors Living-Learning Communities and had my […]

April 7, 2017

One would assume I was anxious moving away from home to live in a residence hall. Although I was a tad anxious, my excitement triumphed. I was eager to have a fresh start and meet new people. During START orientation in the summer, I took a tour of the Honors Living-Learning Communities and had my eyes set on West Hall.

My parents drove me to Oregon State University and helped me move into my new home for the next year. The layout was extremely open due to the suite-living style offered at West. There was plenty of storage for school supplies, snacks and clothes. I dedicated two drawers to my emergency snack kit and still had ample room for the less essentials. Having a sink in the room was extremely convenient. Another pro? I only shared a bathroom with three other girls – my roommate and my suitemates.

I had already known my roommate from high school so we had built a rapport and understood each other’s living expectations. I think it is important to contact potential roommates and go over living expectations to see if you can coexist before you make a commitment to live together. Living with someone new can be unnerving at first, but it is important to note they are likely just as nervous!

An added benefit was the one and a half minute walk to West Dining Hall, consequently fueling my unhealthy relationship with Serrano burritos. I had a burrito every two days and each burrito was as delicious as the last. There were many late night snack raids at EBGBs with friends as well.

What I found the most beneficial when living at West was the proximity to my peers and the study rooms offered on each floor. Each study room had chairs, a table, couches and a dry erase board helpful for studying while creating a relaxing atmosphere. I found myself making study groups and spending last-minute cramming sessions in these rooms. It was nice to know that I had a support system within arm’s reach and that I was not alone in my studies.

Living at West exposed me to diversity and opened the door for new friendships that have continued to challenge and motivate me. Whatever residence hall you choose to live in, enjoy your first year at Oregon State. I highly encourage you to expose yourself to the vast opportunities and resources offered on campus to explore your interests and find your niche. I found mine at West Hall and within the Honors College community.

CATEGORIES: Inside Scoop Uncategorized