I am a Professor of Practice in the Crop and Soil Science Department in the College of Agricultural Science. In my work, I create professional development opportunities and context-specific resources for extension faculty and other educators that support the use of evidence-based approaches to instructional design, learner-centered teaching strategies, and data translation into actionable information.
My goal is to empower educators to co-create intentional, outcome-based partnerships with their communities. To leverage our collective teaching experience across the nation, I lead the Extension Teaching Network. I also conduct applied research and publish on educational development frameworks that result in shifts in how educators design and teach adult education. Please contact me if you would like me to teach capacity-building programs with professionals at your institution.
Areas of focus
- Professional Development: I provide capacity-building programs to support educators in expanding their knowledge of the science of learning and building skills in instructional design and learner-centered teaching. I also provide individual or team consultations on teaching and learning specifically for those leading outreach with their communities.
- Collaborative Extension Projects: I engage in educational projects with educators around the Western US and internationally to enhance the adoption of sustainable farming and ranching practices. My interests also include expanding the reach of educational initiatives through developing approaches to creating train-the-trainer programs with producers and other community members.
- Extension Teaching Network: I lead monthly Zoom meetings to provide a venue for sharing teaching and learning insights and to demonstrate new tools that enhance engagement.
- Service: I serve as a member of the Western Region Evaluators Network (WREN), OSU President’s Commission on the Status of Women, and Chair of the Peer Evaluation of Teaching Committee for the Crop and Soil Science Department.
Publications and Resources
Extension Program Planning, Design, and Teaching
- Improving Extension Instructional Design Using Learner-Centered Templates (2021, The Journal of Extension)
- Increasing the Reach of Integrated Pest Management Partnerships (2021)
- Adaptive Learner-Centered Education: A Toolkit for Extension (2016)
- Adapting an Outcome-Based Education Development Process to Meet Near Real-Time Challenges to Sustainable Agricultural Production (2015, The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension)
Pesticide Risk Reduction Project with Smallholder Farmers in Senegal
- Farmer-Centered Pesticide Risk Reduction Education in Senegal: A Novel, Participatory Approach (2023, Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education)
- Silicone Wristbands Detect Individuals’ Pesticide Exposures in West Africa (2016, Royal Society Open Science)
- Discovery of Common Chemical Exposures Across Three Continents Using Silicone Wristbands (2019, Royal Society Open Science)