Summer Internship Perspective From One of Our Own

As an undergraduate, a recommended key experience is participating in an internship related to your field of study. Gaining work experience prior to graduation not only boosts your employ-ability but also allows you to see if your current path fits what you want in the future. Zena Greenawald, a current 2019-2020 CoF Ambassador, tells us a bit about what she spent her 2019 summer doing.

“This past summer I undertook a 5-week partnered internship with the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians and the Oregon Department of Forestry. I had the pleasure of being hosted by the West Oregon District located in Philomath, Oregon. I worked with the State Forests Unit Manager and their staff.” 

“My internship consisted of helping with timber sale prep and stocking surveys in young plantations. Additionally, I worked with the Philomath’s fire crew dealing with trail maintenance. I was able to gain hands on experience in the field working with the State Lands Foresters who were all graduates from OSU showing me the work opportunities with my degree. “

If you’d like to do something like Zena did, or find a job or internship of your own- be sure to check out our resources within the College of Forestry, like the Fernhopper Stateside Jobs and Opportunities page, or even find an international internship abroad! There are so many ways to expand your time at OSU, learn from hands-on experiences, and narrow down your ideal goal for the future. Get out there!