How I approached login functionality

The task that I’ve been focused on during the past couple weeks has been building the login and authentication functionality for my groups web application. Before taking on this task, I had no previous experience with building login functionality for an application. I was a bit hesitant about this task as I felt unsure about my ability to complete it. Thankfully, I found that there are many resources out in the internet about how to accomplish this task.

My group is using MongoDb, Node.js, Express, and React for our project. Due to our choice of this very common stack, there are plenty of guides and tutorials out there about many common tasks using this stack. I was able to find so many guides on how to do both the backend and front end for the login/registration system. Based on what I learned, I decided that I was going to store “users” and “roles” in the database. When a user signs up the the database creates a new user with the “user” role assigned to it. The other roles is admin which allows more features to be present in the application. I then build login and registration forms using html and bootstrap. I used the mongoose library to deal with user verification and saving new users.

As a result of my research and willingness to take on an unknown task, I was able to complete the login and registration functionality. I am glad I challenged myself because I feel a lot stronger about my skills now. In the future I’ll definitely volunteer for more tasks that are out of my comfort zone.