Project Progress Experience Far

Coming into this project, I’ve had mixed experiences with group projects. Some have been amazing and I’ve got along with my teammates very well. In these cases the result was a great project and overall amazing experience. On the other hand, I’ve also been on teams where everyone seemed to be on a different page and at the end the project experience was less than desirable.

Fortunately, this project has been great so far. My teammates and I get along very well and we all understand each other backgrounds and expectations. I think something that really helped us get going was creating the team standards agreement early on. This agreement allowed us to set forth expectations for each other to follow through the quarter. It also set forth a foundations for team communication and progress.

For example, we chose to use Teams as our main means of communication and so far it has worked very well. Everyone is very response and I don’t think I’ve gone more than a few hours without a response. We also established a weekly meeting call where we share progress on what we have been working on. This call also gives us an opportunity to communicate and work on team dynamics. Moreover, we use Asana to manage our tasks which has made it easy to keep track of progress on features.

I think overall this project experience very closely resembles how a professional work environment would be like. I also think that so far it has been very useful because it this class helps me work on my team work and communication skills. As future software engineers we will mainly focus on coding but one of the other important skills is being able to communicate effectively. I think working on improving soft skills such as communication and teamwork abilities through his project is extremely beneficial.