A man sits in front of two computer monitors with swirling blue images.
Swar Patel sits ready to help and learn.
Photo credit: Akash Kallem

Greetings, readers! I am Swar Patel, a passionate computer science graduate student, and I am thrilled to share my internship experience with the OSU Extension Service. In this blog, I will take you through the early stages of my journey, highlighting the invaluable lessons I have already learned and the exciting prospects that lie ahead.

Within the Extension Service, I have been entrusted with a crucial role in shaping the evaluation process of nationwide youth-based programming. Leveraging the powerful capabilities of Salesforce CRM, I am working alongside a team to design and develop tools and resources that will facilitate efficient program evaluation. By collaborating with project stakeholders, I aim to identify their business needs and translate them into technical solutions that align with our overarching objectives.

My supervisors, Lucas Turpin and Mark Kindred, have been exceptional mentors, providing invaluable guidance throughout my internship journey. Their expertise and experience have been instrumental in shaping my understanding of project management and technical problem-solving. Under their wings, I have had the opportunity to draft project management documents, assist in designing discussion activities during stakeholder meetings, and produce flow diagrams. Their support has enhanced not only my technical skills but also my ability to effectively communicate and collaborate within a professional setting.

Coming from a computer science background, my academic pursuits have provided me with a solid theoretical foundation. However, my internship at Extension Service has given me the chance to apply this knowledge in a practical and meaningful way. By actively participating in the project life cycle, I have gained invaluable hands-on experience in identifying technical solutions that align with stakeholder needs. This practical application of my skills has allowed me to witness first-hand the impact of technology in streamlining evaluation processes and improving youth-based programming.

One of the unique aspects of my internship is the ever-evolving nature of the deadlines. Determined on a rolling basis, these deadlines keep us on our toes, adapting and adjusting to the outcomes of stakeholder meetings. This dynamic environment has instilled in me the importance of effective time management and the ability to prioritize tasks based on evolving project requirements. Collaborating with my managers, stakeholders, and fellow interns, we work together to ensure that our deliverables meet the project’s objectives within the designated timeframes.

Although my internship is still ongoing, the growth I have experienced in this short period is remarkable. This opportunity has not only strengthened my technical skills but has also nurtured crucial soft skills such as effective communication, teamwork, and adaptability. Working alongside seasoned professionals has exposed me to industry best practices and methodologies, expanding my horizons and deepening my understanding of technology’s applications in solving real-world challenges.

As I continue my internship at Extension Service, I eagerly anticipate further growth and learning opportunities. With the guidance of my mentors, I aim to refine my technical skills and contribute more substantially to the evaluation process. Each day brings new challenges, but I am determined to embrace them wholeheartedly, knowing that they will shape my future endeavors in the field of computer science. I am grateful for this internship opportunity and confident that the knowledge and experiences I gain will lay a strong foundation for my professional career.

In conclusion, my internship at Extension Service has been a transformative journey thus far. Working with Salesforce CRM to empower the evaluation of youth-based programming has opened my eyes to the profound impact of technology in the education sector. The guidance and mentorship provided by Lucas Turpin and Mark Kindred have been invaluable, fostering both personal and professional growth. As I continue to learn and grow, I am excited to confront new challenges and contribute to the success of the organization.

Thank you for joining me on this exciting adventure and stay tuned for more updates as I navigate the world of computer science during my internship at Extension Service!