I am an Associate Professor of Practice in the Department of Crop and Soil Science. In my work I create professional learning opportunities for CAS Extension faculty that provide evidence-based approaches to instructional design, active teaching, and program evaluation. Through providing essential information and design templates, my goal is to support our Extension faculty in efficiently developing their own learner-centered educational design practice to enhance adoption of IPM and other sustainable practices.
Also, I conduct applied research on faculty educational development approaches to determine effective ways to increase faculty knowledge and skills in providing empowering adult education with their communities.
Areas of focus
- Collaborative IPM Projects: Currently I am engaged in IPM projects with CAS Extension faculty around the state where we are working with growers with state and community partners to enhance adoption of more sustainable practices.
- Professional Learning Experiences: I provide courses and sessions to support CAS Extension faculty in gaining knowledge of the science of learning and skills in instructional design and active teaching. I also provide faculty consultations on teaching and learning for our unique Extension context.
- Extension Teaching Network: Monthly Zoom meetings along with Cassie Bouska and Gordon Jones to provide guidance and feedback on Extension education program design or redesign to enhance learning.
Publications and Resources
Extension education program development and design:
- Adaptive Learner-Centered Education: A Toolkit for Extension
- Adapting an Outcome-Based Education Development Process to Meet Near Real-Time Challenges to Sustainable Agricultural Production