Blog Post: Most Important Thing I Have Learned

Though we have learned a lot of topics in this class related to employee recruitment and selection, one of the topics that really stuck with me was the lecture on closing the deal. You can spend a lot of time and money on finding the right candidate, but if you are not able to close the deal, all of your hard work and capital is wasted. In our group presentation, I also worked on the closing the deal portion. One thing that I found really interesting with this particular topic in mind, is the importance of understanding and using the 5 F’s.

The 5 F’s are five selling points that you can focus on, if you think your applicant is reluctant to accept the position you are offering. The 5 F’s include fit, family, freedom, fortune, and fun. These five points, are aspects of an applicants life, that they may feel will be impacted if they take the job being offered to them.

The fit selling point focuses on emphasizing how the applicant will satisfy things that the company needs based on their values. By emphasizing this selling point, you can let the applicant know that they will be making a difference in your organization, or making a change in something that they value such as their community. The second selling point is family. By focusing on the family selling point, you are taking into consideration the applicants family, and how accepting the job will affect their personal lives. For example, if you find out that the applicant is having to move, you can do things such as helping pay for their moving costs in order to make their transition easier. The freedom seling point can be used to show the applicant that they will be able to maintain autonomy and will have the ability to make their own decisions in the position. The fourth selling point is fortune. This selling point focuses on emphasizing the financial stabiity and upward progression that the applicant could have at the company. The fifth dimension is fun. This selling point focuses on emphasising the company culture, and the relationships that the applicant will be able to make within the company

By focusing on these five selling points, you can show an applicant that you are invested in them and their work at the company. After all, people like to feel as though they are being listened to and their needs are being met. Not only will knowing this topic help me in the future if I am ever tasked with hiring an employee, it will also help me when applying for jobs myself. I can evaluate whether the company will value me, based on if they seem to have an interest in these five selling points.