“A Day in the Life of…” Kelly Soluri!

Remind us what your project is

I’m tasked with translating outreach documents for the Shellfish and Estuarine Assessment of Coastal Oregon (SEACOR) team at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW)

What have you been doing in your first few weeks on the job?

I’ve been reading up on background information on the ecology of different shellfish species such as Dungeness crabs and razor clams. This background reading helps me understand the context of my work as my first document is on crabbing. I’ve already begun the process of translating and I’m on my second draft. 

Describe your daily routine in the time of COVID-19 remote (or in person) work:

Do you work 8 hours straight?

I maintain my hours flexible so I don’t get burnt out quickly. I like to section off my day with tasks instead of basing my productivity on strictly on time, although there are times that I do work through 8 hours. 

My workspace supplied with my agenda, notebook, computer, water bottle, and a glass of iced tea.

Do you multitask?

I split my day with different tasks but while working, I’m focused on that task. 

Do you have “coffee” with colleagues/co-workers/other interns?

I did join a “coffee hour” celebrating the last day of the internship for Em and Jenna. I’d like to have other events like this in the future to bond with the other interns.

How often do you check in with your supervisor?

My supervisor and I have a weekly meeting on Fridays at the end of the day where we check in on my progress. I can ask any questions I’d like during this time and we finish the meeting with a presentation by my mentor on an aspect of the field work that I would have been participating in as my original project before the covid-19 modifications. 

How often are team meetings?

SEACOR team meetings are weekly. I had my first just last week! 

How do you stay motivated (exercise breaks, phone calls with friends, walking meetings…)?

I like to take small breaks throughout the day. During breaks, I’m usually outside, taking in the sun while having a popsicle or fruit. I also use my agenda to not lose track of deadlines and meetings. 

My break spot during a sunset.

What is one downside or your COVID-19 work routine?

I would have loved to get to know all the interns in person or to have started all at the same time but I’m looking to remedy some of it by reaching out to people for coffee hours.  

What is one upside of your COVID-19 work routine?

The flexibility of my routine is a nice benefit although you have to be disciplined to complete your tasks everyday.

Thanks for reading!

2 thoughts on ““A Day in the Life of…” Kelly Soluri!

1. It sounds like your first couple of weeks are off to a good start! Do you have a certain amount of documents you plan on translating this summer?

2. Hi Kelly, it sounds like you have a good routine going. That is definitely a beautiful sunset picture! I also would have liked to get to know the other interns more, zoom calls are nice but it is definitely not the same.