Being welcomed into a new workplace

Over the first few months of my fellowship I have been overwhelmed with welcoming gestures.  It wasn’t until a tiny hamburger sticker came my way that I actually stopped to think about it…

The first day of a position normally starts with an introduction to your work space and people you will be working with, and I did get those introductions…along with introductions to every single person in the Salem DLCD office.  Patty Snow, the director of the Oregon Coastal Program personally introduced me to every person in the office and showed me all of the good spots!  I was blown away that a program director would take the time out of her busy day just to show a fellow around (seriously!  She does a tone.  If you don’t believe me take a look at her desk!).  Andy Lanier, my mentor and the Marine Affairs Coordinator for the Coastal Program , then sat down with me during my first week and straight out asked me “what do you want from this fellowship?” He explained it was his goal to make sure I get the experience that I was hoping for.

My desk is right near some of the Geo spacial Team desks.  All of the “GIS” people as I like to call them.  ell the GIS people all have wooden letters symbolizing the first letter of their names hanging on the front of their work space. I was truly touched when Cy, the Geo spacial team leader (from what I understand) also got me one of these letters!  I have never felt so welcomed into a work space.

It really shows that small gestures go a long way.

I’ve thought long and hard about how I want to use this blog space and I’ve decided photos are much more fun than words.  So instead of describing all of my experiences, here are some photos from them!

As part of my introduction into this project, Andy and I have been making some pit stops along the coast while on our way to other meetings.  This spot is Sea Rock!
 Far from rocky, but still beautiful – Florence Dunes
 Cape Perpetua
 Yaquina Head – What you can’t see in this photo are the 3 whales swimming around within this cove.  The wave climate was intense this day and wave sets were coming in that I couldn’t believe.  Yet the whales were not phased at all and moved around the jagged rocks like dancers.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Deanna. Bookmark the permalink.

About Deanna

Assignment: Deanna is currently working with the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) to facilitate the update of the Oregon State Rocky Shores Management Strategy. This strategy is a subsection of the Territorial Sea Plan that is responsible for the management of rocky area resources along the Oregon Coast. During this process, she is working with a multitude of agency, government, and private stakeholders that have a vested interest in coastal resources. Additionally, Deanna is responsible for assuring transparency and active engagement of this process with the public. Education: Deanna completed a B.S. in Environmental Sciences from the State University of New York at Oneonta in 2014 where she focused on aquatic invasive species research. She recently completed her M.S. in Marine Resource Management from Oregon State University where she researched community resilience in relation to the commercial fishing industry.

One thought on “Being welcomed into a new workplace

1. It is great to hear that you are getting such an excellent mentorship experience with your fellowship. I applaud DLCD Coastal Management Program for taking the time to truly make you feel welcome. I very much appreciate you taking the time to upload photos. Unfortunately, they show up as broken links right now. Let me know if you need help figuring them out how to get them to appear. I would love to see photos of your work!