If These Puns are Bad, Then Let Minnow!

Yet again, I find myself on Monday morning in a wetsuit heading out to Otter Rock Marine Reserve to collect SMURFs and sample the juvenile fish. I’ve decided this is one of my favorite jobs I’ve done so far with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The start time is not too early, it’s a good way to start the day, and I get to swim in the ocean. No matter how cold or early, I would take any opportunity I could to get in the water and do some field work.

The day was very successful and Rosalyn was able to go with us, which made it a lot more fun. The day did not end after the field work however. There was a total of 275 fish that needed to be identified and measured. It took until about 8 pm, but we were able to finish and go to the local bar and sit down for a beer. It was a long day.

Something I have realized from this week is that I really want to go to grad school at some point. I think there is a lot to be learned in the field of marine biology and I even though I don’t know when I will go, I want to continue my education. I’ve been looking a lot of different places and even schools abroad as well. There are so many programs that look so interesting!

As the weekend rolled up, our plan of attack was to finally hike Cascade Head, which is one of the more popular hikes in Lincoln City. It was around 5 miles and had an amazing view at the top. I cannot get over how gorgeous Oregon really is and how much of it that I still have yet to explore. As the weekend calms down, I am spending the day relaxing and resting for the week ahead. I cannot believe that the end is now in sight. It seems like only a short while ago I was graduating from college and on my way to Newport.

Another update is that I get to attend the American Fisheries Society Conference in Portland in two weeks! I have never been to one before and am excited to be around people that are passionate about the same things that I am. It will also be a great way to end the internship and summer. I am hopeful for the future and so far this has solidified that I do really love working on the coast and in marine science.

11830674_1128657730481452_1763134828_n11846097_1128657713814787_1795106280_n